Contraction

February 8, 2013 | 7 comments

I want to understand one thing especially. All my work bends to it. I want to understand the contraction of religious belief as a positive religious phenomenon.

7 Responses to Contraction

1. Dave on February 8, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Sounds like: The more I learn, the less I know. That’s a common reaction to the broadening of one’s horizons over time.

2. MC on February 8, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Hmm…there’s no question that it can be a good thing, if what you previously believed is untrue, and therefore unstable. But I can’t say it’s a good thing generally. I want more and more to believe in, not less. “..and we believe that he will yet reveal many great and important things…”

3. Thomas Parkin on February 8, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Give me one quick paragraph on “the contraction of religious belief.” I’m pretty sure you’ve explained why I so consistently resist what you write. (I recently read your book and it quickly became my most annotated book. Mostly noted No, No! and No!!!, but sometimes yes and then no!!) But I also have a suspicion that there is somewhere a key that would turn it all around to mean the opposite of what I think it means. That key being found, I would become your greatest champion.

4. Rachel Whipple on February 9, 2013 at 12:08 am

When what we will is what we do? I had a friend once posit that the missing key involved ice cream. Those of us who are lactose intolerant are still searching for something more substantial than resolve.

5. pd on February 9, 2013 at 12:10 am

Discriminate between what gives you peace and what disturbs you. Whatever is better, follow that.
    – Papaji, Sri H.W.L Poonja –

6. pd on February 9, 2013 at 12:17 am
  7. Adam Miller on February 9, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Thomas. In all honesty, that may be my all time favorite response to “Rube Goldberg Machines.” (And I suspect that our copies of the book may be marked up in similar ways :) I’ll see if I can come up with a useful example in a separate post.