I recently received an email asking “if the LDS Church has an official (or unofficial) Social Doctrine, similarly to other churches”. In this and many areas, the Church has little in the way of an official position, and this wisely allows for a rich and diverse discussion among Mormons about how the Gospel should shape our participation in society and politics. I am excited to see such a discussion of Mormon perspectives on war and peace is being planned for this spring, sponsored by Claremont Graduate University and the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies at Notre Dame. Paper proposals (in the form of an abstract and CV) are due next Wednesday, September 1st. The full Call for Papers, with submission details, is posted at Juvenile Instructor.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- The Package Deal
- Alison Moore Smith: …a doctrine of eternal marriage all but required polygamy as a...
- whizzbang: @15-I live in a marginalized situation. I live in a small numerically wise...
- James Anglin: About the culture/theology chicken and egg: historically it seems clear that...
Notes From All Over
- Cedar City Utah Temple Groundbreaking in Late Summer May 4, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In your Own Words | 4 May 2015 May 4, 2015
- Thousands Gather at BYU for Annual Women’s Conference May 1, 2015
- Open House and Rededication Dates Announced for Montreal Quebec Temple April 30, 2015
- Apostle Speaks at Historic Religious Freedom Event in Brazil April 29, 2015
- Church Approves Electronic Method to Submit Tithes and Other Charitable Donations April 29, 2015
“War and Peace in Our Time: Mormon Perspectives” Proposal Deadline Sept. 1
August 25, 2010 | 3 commentsBy Ben Huff