Welcome Eric Huntsman

December 11, 2009 | 24 comments

Times & Seasons is excited to welcome Eric Huntsman as a guest blogger.

Eric is an Associate Professor in Ancient Scripture at BYU. He earned a PhD in Ancient History and Classics from the University of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, one of the authors of Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament, a former bishop, father of two, and currently a temple worker.

Welcome, Eric!

24 Responses to Welcome Eric Huntsman

1. Christopher on December 11, 2009 at 9:06 am

Awesome. Looking forward to your posts, Eric.

2. Nitsav on December 11, 2009 at 10:07 am

Excellent indeed. Welcome to the ‘naccle :)

3. Dave on December 11, 2009 at 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum, Eric. I thought the Choir sounded better lately.

4. Sean on December 11, 2009 at 10:38 am

I believe Eric is also a former missionary in the Thailand Bangkok mission. Looking forward to reading your posts, na khrab!

5. Clean Cut on December 11, 2009 at 10:48 am

Wow. Talk about high expectations…

6. john f. on December 11, 2009 at 11:31 am

This will be great. I’m looking forward to reading your posts.

7. Chris B on December 11, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I believe Eric taught the very first class I ever attended at BYU – a Book of Mormon class that was quite good. Looking forward to the posts.

8. Matt W. on December 11, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for your work on “Jesus Christ and the world of the New Testament”

9. Hunter on December 11, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Thanks for joining up with T&S. Looking forward to reading your future posts.

10. Kevin Barney on December 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Wow, what a coup! And yes, Eric served his mission in Thailand. He ordered lunch for us at a Thai restaurant in, well, Thai. It was great fun!

11. TT on December 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Huzzah!

12. Ms. Jack Meyers on December 11, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Good to see you here, Eric. I’m going to embarrass you by linking to my blog post about you:

My evangelical Mormon professor

You guys are in for a treat.

(Yes, yes, I know, ‘go back to studying for finals, Jack, blah blah blah…’)

13. J. Madson on December 12, 2009 at 1:02 am

looking forward to your post. Just dont ask me to parse any greek sentences. really enjoyed your classes though.

14. kik~ on December 12, 2009 at 7:14 am

Hey Eric! It’s Karen, from the old hood! How are ya? I think about you and your family every time I’m in Provo, especially when I look at that awesome lilac hedge :)

15. g.wesley on December 12, 2009 at 3:32 pm

oh boy!

16. Alison Moore Smith on December 12, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Eric, welcome, welcome! Look forward to reading!

My sis sings in MoTab. Nora Hess. Do you know her? Her husband (Bret) also just got in. He’ll be in the training choir until April. Great guy and a really fine tenor!

17. Cameron Nielsen on December 13, 2009 at 12:29 am

Welcome Eric. You taught an Acts-Revelation class I was in a few years ago that was enjoying/edifying.

18. Floyd the Wonderdog on December 13, 2009 at 9:05 am

Eric,
    I really like your Book of Mormon class materials. What’s the possiblity of your putting together a home-study class using your materials?
    Floyd Wunderhund

19. Craig M. on December 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Wow, the first question Eric might want to answer is how it feels to have a bio that makes him appear to be perfect.

20. Ray Rambo on December 14, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Eric; Did you attend BYU in 1987-1988? If so I remember you. I loved your sunday school lessons.

21. Julie M. Smith on December 15, 2009 at 9:36 am

Craig M,

And to think that I forgot to mention that he runs marathons . . .

22. Eric Huntsman on December 16, 2009 at 2:11 pm

You are all too kind. I just tried to post an introductory blog, and it seems to have disappeared into the net somewhere. Or maybe it is pending review before posting? Ah, Julie or Marc are going to need to bail me out.

The point is, that I am, at last, here, and I have a plan for the next week (Choir concert experiences, role of music in the season, Advent, Christmas with a special needs child, and a more academic stroll through the infancy narratives).

Quick responses to some comments above: yes, to Thailand Bankgkok Mission. Yes to demon Sunday School lessons in the 1980s. Yes, Jack Meyers can embarrass away. Josh, one should never forget how to parse Greek properly: remember, full form, full function, and use in the sentence! Yes, I know Nora from the Choir. No, I am not perfect . . . in anyway: that is why I love teaching Paul so much—I am a 100% grace man.

23. Eric Huntsman on December 16, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Okay . . . the post is up and running. Did not realize it appeared in its own window. Lower your expectations, folks. It is just an introduction.

24. Eric Huntsman on December 18, 2009 at 8:40 am

kik~

Is this Karen from Dan and Karen McWiggings? How are you? Were are you?