Just kidding about the â€œoftenâ€ part. Are you an early voter or a procrastinator? Hereâ€™s why I voted early:
1. Smaller lines. Do you really need another reason? Seriously, you donâ€™t. Don’t read any more.
2. Okay, you kept reading. How about this? The candidates start campaigning earlier every election cycle. If they get to do politics early, I should, too.
3. In the primary, I called the county, and they told me where to vote. They were wrong. I drove to two more voting places, waited in lines for hours, and finally found that I had been in the right place at the second place. All with two toddlers. Itâ€™s not going to happen that way again. Ever.
4. If you donâ€™t know who you are voting for yet, you are not going to suddenly have an epiphany during the next week. Even though you have to figure it out, if you really havenâ€™t decided.
5. The chance of something significant happening in the last week is practically nilâ€”and, even if it does, itâ€™s highly probable that itâ€™s just an opposition smear campaign. You do the math.
6. The un-decideds have hogged the spotlight for the last two months. I think they are faking it. Early voting is my one chance at fame, and Iâ€™m going for it.
7. Me and the other early voters will mess up the exit polls. Since I majored in political science, I think that will be . . . exciting. You know, complicate things for the students!
8. Iâ€™ve already bought most of my Christmas presents. I’m weird. I know: thereâ€™s counseling.
9. Itâ€™s mainly elderly people who vote early. Those grandparents are really nice to my kids, not rude like the people in the primary. Youâ€™d be crying after two hours, too, people!
10. I love the touch screen voting. I just canâ€™t wait to do it again. Early as I can. (Though I have to admit I kind of miss the drama of the hanging chad. Since the Florida fiasco, I always checked my chads. Just for fun.)
There is only one problem: My â€œIâ€™ve voted!â€ sticker has already lost its stickiness. Thatâ€™s the hazard of voting early. Shame. Embarrassment. Not having a sticker on voting day. Will one of you pick up an extra on November 4th?
Allow this to be voting group therapy. Letâ€™s talk. My name is Kylie Turley, and I vote early. How about you?