I haven’t a clue. What I do have, however, is an e-mail from someone working on a graduate thesis on a Mormon-related topic. This person has a good understanding of Mormonism and Mormon history by way of growing up in the church, attending BYU, and reading the standard Mormon academic sources, such as the Encyclopedia of Mormonism. This person also has a skittish thesis adviser who wants the thesis to include more scholarship about the church from non-Mormons. So, what are the titles, and who are the authors? I’m looking for people who are not Mormons, former Mormons, cultural Mormons, future Mormons, in fact not Mormon in any way at all, but who have published good work about the church in academic journals and presses. If you’re looking for academic work by an outside observer on the basic issues (like, are Mormons Christians, or what?), who do you turn to?
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Small Group DynamicsThe Perversity of Orthodoxy
- Sasha Apanasenko: I find it saddening on a site that purports to be for faithful...
- heather y: I just want to point out that RS budgets cover a whole bunch of compassionate...
- jcobabe: To be forthcoming, I should be clear that in reference to donations to BSA and...
- Kif: George S #4 and Suleyman #16 — We tried donating to the YW’s program in a...
Notes From All Over
- Church Creates Original Video Series on Addiction Recovery August 28, 2015
- Angel Moroni Lifted to the Top of the Fort Collins Colorado Temple August 27, 2015
- Church to Go Forward with Scouting Program August 26, 2015
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | August 25, 2015 August 25, 2015
- First Latter-day Saint Temple in Indiana Dedicated August 23, 2015
- Frankfurt Germany Temple to Close for Renovation August 20, 2015
Essential texts in Mormon Studies by non-Mormon authors
April 26, 2007 | 44 commentsBy Jonathan Green