I haven’t a clue. What I do have, however, is an e-mail from someone working on a graduate thesis on a Mormon-related topic. This person has a good understanding of Mormonism and Mormon history by way of growing up in the church, attending BYU, and reading the standard Mormon academic sources, such as the Encyclopedia of Mormonism. This person also has a skittish thesis adviser who wants the thesis to include more scholarship about the church from non-Mormons. So, what are the titles, and who are the authors? I’m looking for people who are not Mormons, former Mormons, cultural Mormons, future Mormons, in fact not Mormon in any way at all, but who have published good work about the church in academic journals and presses. If you’re looking for academic work by an outside observer on the basic issues (like, are Mormons Christians, or what?), who do you turn to?
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- I was a stranger, and ye took me in
- Nathan Whilk: I’m wondering if there’s an amount of money I could donate out...
- Sid: The situation in Central American countries is bad, but, it hasnt gotten worse in the...
- Steve Smith: Brilliant post, Rachel. Let’s do think of the children. Now a sidenote....
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Public Invited to Tour Newly Remodeled Ogden Utah Temple July 29, 2014
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | 23 July 2014 July 23, 2014
- FamilySearch Volunteers Break International Indexing Record July 23, 2014
- Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer Trek July 22, 2014
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Santino Fontana Headline Pioneer Day Concerts July 20, 2014
- Groundbreaking Date Announced for Meridian Idaho Mormon Temple July 18, 2014
Essential texts in Mormon Studies by non-Mormon authors
April 26, 2007 | 44 commentsBy Jonathan Green