I haven’t a clue. What I do have, however, is an e-mail from someone working on a graduate thesis on a Mormon-related topic. This person has a good understanding of Mormonism and Mormon history by way of growing up in the church, attending BYU, and reading the standard Mormon academic sources, such as the Encyclopedia of Mormonism. This person also has a skittish thesis adviser who wants the thesis to include more scholarship about the church from non-Mormons. So, what are the titles, and who are the authors? I’m looking for people who are not Mormons, former Mormons, cultural Mormons, future Mormons, in fact not Mormon in any way at all, but who have published good work about the church in academic journals and presses. If you’re looking for academic work by an outside observer on the basic issues (like, are Mormons Christians, or what?), who do you turn to?
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- LDS.org Has a Blog?
- Jim L.: @Last Lemming I just died. “Under the Bushel” lol
- Jason: Clark Goble, I would follow the heck out of that blog.
- Travis: For some reason, the #1 theme by far is Sabbath observance. It’s almost half...
Notes From All Over
- Ground Broken for First Central Africa Temple February 12, 2016
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir Invites Fans to Join Virtual Hallelujah Chorus February 12, 2016
- Church Urges “Cautious Approach” on Medical Marijuana Issue in Utah February 12, 2016
- Freedmen's Bureau Project Reaches Halfway Point February 12, 2016
- With Kinshasa Temple Groundbreaking, Church Growing Rapidly in Africa February 12, 2016
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites February 11, 2016 February 11, 2016
Essential texts in Mormon Studies by non-Mormon authors
April 26, 2007 | 44 commentsBy Jonathan Green