The commemorative broadcast has caused some members of the Bloggernacle concern: partly because of fears over what others will think of a big, churchwide event so close to Christmas which honors Joseph Smith rather than Jesus Christ, and partly just because the proximity of the broadcast to the holiday itself is a little disruptive. What should we make of “Smithmas?,” they thoughtfully ask. For my part, I’m looking forward to the broadcast, and actually really hope that it helps to jump-start a more regular and ritualized commemoration of Joseph Smith in the church–but then, I’m a nut for holidays. Still, there are some valid concerns out there. When we discussed this matter before, some similar concerns were voiced, and some similar solutions proposed (such as turning June 27th, the day Joseph was murdered, into our own Mormon Martyrs’ Day–I’d be in favor of that too). Anyway, check out the thread–but if you have something to add, say it there, not here.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Recommended NT Resources, part 3: History and Commentary
- Ardis E. Parshall: Oh, duh, sorry. I guess I was so eager to get to the book list that I...
- Ben S.: Thanks JMS. I’d heard good things about the new manual, but hadn’t...
- Ardis E. Parshall: I didn’t notice until I had already bought a couple of these...
- Jonathan Cavender: Josh: The Lord is a higher authority than the Prophet, therefore...
- Josh Smith: Johnathan, I’m interested in the idea of “obedience to a higher...
- Jonathan Cavender: Josh: You are not getting annoying, I assure you. However, I believe...
Notes From All Over
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | November 26 November 26, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 26 November 2014 November 26, 2014
- Mormons Join Christians Around the World to Celebrate the Bible November 25, 2014
- The Voice of Religious Conscience November 25, 2014
- Church to Send Email Messages to Members Worldwide November 25, 2014
- Violin Phenom Lindsey Stirling to Live Chat Online with Mormon Youth November 24, 2014
From the Archives: What Are You Doing on December 23rd?
December 20, 2005 | no commentsBy Russell Arben Fox