Quick admin note

November 26, 2004 | 7 comments

Following a string of spam attacks, I’m tinkering with the settings to try to allow it to catch more spam. I’ve tightened a few controls to “wait list” comments that might be spam. (These aren’t deleted, but they’re kept in a queue until they can be individually approved). I’m trying to keep the settings right, and I don’t think that I’ll be catching many legit comments, but there’s a chance that your comment will be put on a wait list, as I figure out how best to work with spam fighting tools. I’m not sure if this particular tool is going to work well. Apologies in advance for any inadvertent wait listing.

7 Responses to Quick admin note

1. TEST on November 26, 2004 at 11:29 pm

Testing again.

2. Ethesis (Stephen M) on November 27, 2004 at 4:15 pm

Well, in the fine tradition that all comments should eventually turn into SSM discusions, I link to:

(and, test the controls to see if short comments with a link get grabbed).

3. Kaimi on November 29, 2004 at 5:23 pm

FYI all (especially those using WP blogs), this is what I implemented (and it seems to be working!).

// Further flood-protection
    if ($url) {
    $lastten = $wpdb->get_var(“SELECT comment_date FROM $tablecomments WHERE comment_author_url = ‘$url’ ORDER BY comment_date DESC LIMIT 10,1″);
    if (!empty($lastten))
    {
    $date_lastten= mysql2date(‘U’, $lastten);
    $date_newcomment= mysql2date(‘U’, $now);
    if (($date_newcomment – $date_lastten) LESS THAN* 86400)
    $approved = 0;
    }
    }

*NOTE: For some reason, it’s not letting me use the real “less than” sign here. That’s what I have in the code, of course.

What it does (I think) is check back for the past ten comments using the same URL. So if I enter a comment with the URL kaimipono.com, it will check back on the last ten comments that have been entered with that URL. If the tenth one back is less than a day old, it will automatically put my comment in the wait list for individual approval or deletion.

This means that if I want to advertise my new gambling / pr0n / whatever site by adding 50 new comments at midnight when no one is watching the blog, I won’t actually be able to get 50 comments up. After the first 10, all additional comments with that same URL will be automatically waitlisted.

4. TEST on November 30, 2004 at 10:34 pm