Jewish Standard Time?

September 15, 2004 | 10 comments

I was running late for a meeting today when I encountered a staff member at the law school. When I explained quickly that I was 10 minutes late, she commented, “No problem. Jewish Standard Time.” Well, I thought it was a strange comment to make to me, a conspicuous Mormon, but I was also intrigued by the comparison to the expression, Mormon Standard Time. Do all religions have an expression like this? I have never heard of Catholic Standard Time or Muslim Standard Time.

10 Responses to Jewish Standard Time?

1. Times and Seasons » Rosh Hashanah on September 16, 2004 at 6:40 pm

[…] ewish New Year deserve a little bit of thought from us Mormons, especially considering the important parallels between our two peoples. Shana Tova, everyone!
    Perma […]

2. Ashleigh on September 15, 2004 at 3:17 am

My best friend is African American and frequently refers to something similar. I forget the exact wording, but I know she uses the word “Negro”, and sometimes the other “N” word when her mom’s not in the room.

3. danithew on September 15, 2004 at 8:32 am

For some reason I haven’t heard anyone use the term “Mormon Standard Time” for years. Is that still heard on any kind of regular basis?

I can ask a friend of mine if there is “Muslims Standard Time” or not.

In his book “From Beirut to Jerusalem” Thomas Friedman talks about his difficulty in setting up appointments with Yasir Arafat. He called it the IBM principle. I for “Inshallah” (if God wills, he will meet with you when you want”, “B” for “bukra” (meaning tomorrow) and “M” for “ma’aelish” which might be translated as “oh well” or “it doesn’t matter anymore”. This idea might be a sort of “Arab Standard Time” or maybe it just refers to the frustrations a journalist might have when setting up appointments with dignitaries who are being hunted down by the Mossad.

4. greenfrog on September 15, 2004 at 8:59 am

Two years ago, our stake choir joined forces with a Methodist Church choir in the area to perform a couple of joint concerts. The conductor of the joint choir was the Methodist choir’s leader. As things worked out, the first joint rehearsal was at the Methodist church. The Mormons (gasp) were all there on time. As the Methodists straggled in, their conductor commented on “MST,” then elaborated: “Methodist Standard Time.”

All the Mormons started laughing at that point.

5. Chris Grant on September 15, 2004 at 10:05 am

Google hit count:

• “Mormon standard time”: 144
    • “Jewish standard time”: 51
    • “Muslim standard time”: 13
    • “Catholic standard time”: 1
    • “Methodist standard time”: 0
  6. Silus Grok on September 15, 2004 at 11:03 am

I’ve also heard “Baptist Standard Time”.

Silly memes know no bounds.

Ditto the “You know what they say about the weather in ____: Wait five minutes and it will change! *guffah*!”.

7. danithew on September 15, 2004 at 11:09 am

Speaking of “Jewish Standard Time” … Shanah Tovah everybody. The Jewish new year begins tonight at sundown. This will be the beginning of year 5765 in the Jewish calendar.

8. Gordon Smith on September 15, 2004 at 11:28 am

Chris, Those are great google results! I should have thought to do that. Strange that greenfrog had the MST experience, but it appears nowhere in google. I wonder how long it will take for this thread to show up at the first hit on “Methodist Standard Time”?

Silus, you reminded me that I have heard “Baptist Standard Time,” too. I assume this is not just a religious thing, as implied by Ashleigh’s comment. Any other “standard times” people have encountered?

9. Ethesis (Stephen M) on September 16, 2004 at 8:36 am

Many, Many Any other “standard times� people have encountered?

There are two kinds of sources. One is the lack of wrist watches, the other is people who leave (to where they are going) at the time they are supposed to arrive (at where they are going).

Or so I suppose from having observed it in many pleaces.

10. Amy on September 18, 2004 at 11:51 am

When I started my internship at a hospital in NYC, my internship supervisor informed me that in New York, being late is just the way people do it. You shouldn’t expect anyone to be on time- her term for this? Yep: New York Standard Time.