August 11, 2004 | 9 comments

Those who pay attention to our Site Meter on the sidebar may have noticed the passage today of a milestone: 144,000.

Why is this important? Well, as we all know, the Apocalyse tells us that: “I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.” What does this mean for latecomers? It means, quite simply, that the quota has been filled. Thanks for playing.

But wait!

A follow-up in the Doctrine and Covenants clarifies that: “Those who are sealed are high priests, ordained unto the holy order of God, to administer the everlasting gospel; for they are they who are ordained out of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, by the angels to whom is given power over the nations of the earth, to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn.”

So I guess there is room in the Kingdom — and at T & S — for a few latecomers after all.

9 Responses to 144,000: The Select Have Been Chosen, and the Rest of You Can Now Return Home, but Thank You for Participating!

1. Derek on August 11, 2004 at 5:27 pm

Because I have visited this web site multiple times, I am expecting to have some extra tickets available, which I will be willing to give away in exchange for earthly treasures.

2. Jeremy on August 11, 2004 at 6:40 pm

Yeah, is it by hits or number of unique IP’s? Either way, I’ve visited from at least three different computers, so I’ve got some extra spots too. I’m selling mine on eBay, along with my extra Gmail invites.

3. danithew on August 11, 2004 at 7:14 pm

Speaking of gmail invites, I haven’t gotten new invites to give out in quite awhile. Is there a limited number or am I being singled out for negative treatment? :)

4. Adam Greenwood on August 11, 2004 at 7:28 pm

Can I get some comp tickets?

5. Aaron Brown on August 11, 2004 at 7:32 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t like gmail? Now that yahoo has upped its free storage space, and hotmail is about to do the same, is there that much added benefit to 2 gigabytes of space, particularly in light of the way gmail prohibits you from every deleting anything permanently?

Aaron B

6. Aaron Brown on August 11, 2004 at 7:32 pm

Am I the only one who doesn’t like gmail? Now that yahoo has upped its free storage space, and hotmail is about to do the same, is there that much added benefit to 2 gigabytes of space, particularly in light of the way gmail prohibits you from ever deleting anything permanently?

Aaron B

7. danithew on August 11, 2004 at 7:59 pm

I thought you could ultimately delete an email in gmail. Maybe that’s wrong. I’ll have to check that out.

Besides 2GB of space, there’s two things I like about email: 1) the search capability (makes it easy to find messages from a particular person or regarding a particular topic and 2) the way emails and replies to emails are organized inside of gmail.

One thing I liked about yahoo mail was the way the address book was organized.

8. William Morris on August 11, 2004 at 8:19 pm

Aaron:

You move messages to the trash. If you want to delete them permanently you click on the trash “folder,” select the messages and click the “delete forever” button.

I too love the messages grouped by conversation feature.

And I really like that because it uses “labels” instead of “folders” you can have messages in more than one place.

9. Jeremy on August 11, 2004 at 8:35 pm

Okay, now that we’ve got our email affairs in order, let’s get back to talking about the end of the world.

So my question: will my 2gigs of Gmail space last me through the millenium?