“In the 1830s, on the western frontier of Missouri, ball was the favorite sport of Joseph Smith, founder of a new religious sect called the Mormons1.” A couple of years ago I received as a Christmas present the Baseball documentary by Ken Burns, the PBS series that as much as anything has driven my current fascination with the game and led to the Mormon Baseball blog. Early in the first of the documentary’s 10 parts, the narrator makes the above claim, something that even today I don’t hear from Mormon historians. Could it be that Joseph Smith played and... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Data, Doctrines, & Doubts: Improving Gospel Instruction
- jcobabe: What a marvelous change of pace from standard Bloggernacle fare! I find no spirit...
- John Lundwall: Great post. Great talk. Correct principles in our teaching culture. Good...
- rs1: I agree. I enjoyed your post very much.
- Chris Henrichsen: Let us hope this works out better than my guest stint. :)
Notes From All Over
- Interfaith Video Competition Winners Announced August 31, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites August 31, 2015 August 31, 2015
- President Uchtdorf Dedicates New Addition to Church’s Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii August 29, 2015
- Church Creates Original Video Series on Addiction Recovery August 28, 2015
- Angel Moroni Lifted to the Top of the Fort Collins Colorado Temple August 27, 2015
- Church to Go Forward with Scouting Program August 26, 2015