“In the 1830s, on the western frontier of Missouri, ball was the favorite sport of Joseph Smith, founder of a new religious sect called the Mormons1.” A couple of years ago I received as a Christmas present the Baseball documentary by Ken Burns, the PBS series that as much as anything has driven my current fascination with the game and led to the Mormon Baseball blog. Early in the first of the documentary’s 10 parts, the narrator makes the above claim, something that even today I don’t hear from Mormon historians. Could it be that Joseph Smith played and... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson #13
- jader3rd: Fabulous post. I love the insight. Given how well Mark is pairing these...
- Julie M. Smith: ponderer, I think there is ample evidence that the second was a Gentile...
- ponderer: Julie thanks for the insights. I was wondering about the common assumption that...
Notes From All Over
- In a Game of Total Victory We All Lose March 27, 2015
- Church Shares 'Because He Lives' Easter Initiative March 27, 2015
- Annual General Conference Reaches Global Audience March 26, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 25 March 2015 March 25, 2015
- Unity in Diversity March 25, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites March 24, 2015 March 24, 2015