The new tobacco tax in the United States took effect yesterday, which tripled the amount of tax collected on each pack of cigarrettes, and probably raising the cost of a pack to as much as $9. The tax is the single largest increase in tobacco taxes in history. For an LDS audience, this probably seems all fine and good. You aren’t likely to complain about a sin tax if you aren’t committing that sin. And, to be honest, its hard to imagine a sin tax that LDS Church members would be particularly vulnerable to (perhaps ice cream?) But even... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Letter to a CES Student
- Andrew S: re 57, Rosalynde, Thanks for expounding. Your comment matches with how...
- Josh Smith: jdh (44 and 56): If you’re anywhere near Idaho Falls, I’ll buy you...
- Rosalynde Welch: It looks like Adam may not engage here in the comments, so I thought I...
Notes From All Over
- Church Continues to Monitor and Respond to Ebola Situation October 29, 2014
- First Presidency Issues Letter Encouraging Political Participation, Voting October 29, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 28 October 2014 October 28, 2014
- Freedom of Religion in the Workplace Discussed at the UN October 28, 2014
- Difference and Dignity October 24, 2014
- Entertainer Donny Osmond to Speak at RootsTech 2015 October 23, 2014