Nauvoo had its Relief Society, but the “society of sisters” in Boston was instead the “Sewing and Penny Society,” or so the Church’s New York City newspaper reported. Despite all that the Relief Society has become in the nearly 170 years since it was founded, it apparently only existed in Nauvoo. In other areas, women were left to their own devices. Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- “A New Affirmation on Marriage”: A sneer at the Mormon Church?
- brian larsen: I find it very strange that we (as a church) are very concerned about the...
- Wilfried: Thanks all, for keeping the discussion civil and friendly. The comments reveal...
- Old Man: stephenchardy: Can any Christian truly take up the cross without causing pain to...
- Ben S.: The citation from Wyman sounds a bit like the old anthropological observation of...
- Dave Banack: Helpful reflections, James. Nothing like the looming prospect of dying to...
Notes From All Over
- Historic Vatican Summit on Strengthening Marriage Concludes November 19, 2014
- At Vatican Summit, Mormon Leader Calls for “Renaissance” of Happy Marriages November 18, 2014
- Church Moves Forward With Expansion Plans for Provo MTC November 18, 2014
- 'Glorious’ Video Compilation Features Singers Around the World November 18, 2014
- Vatican Summit: Global Faith Leaders Discuss Marriage November 17, 2014
- PHOTO: Pope Francis Greets President Eyring November 17, 2014