Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Recommended NT Resources, part 3: History and Commentary
- Gary R.: I am wondering what your thoughts are on the somewhat older and likely out of...
- thabermeyer: Thanks for putting the short list together Ben – much appreciated. Your...
- Ardis E. Parshall: Oh, duh, sorry. I guess I was so eager to get to the book list that I...
- Jonathan Cavender: Josh: The Lord is a higher authority than the Prophet, therefore...
- Josh Smith: Johnathan, I’m interested in the idea of “obedience to a higher...
- Jonathan Cavender: Josh: You are not getting annoying, I assure you. However, I believe...
Notes From All Over
- Church Launches 'He Is the Gift' Initiative to Share Christmas Message November 28, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 26 November 2014 November 26, 2014
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | November 26 November 26, 2014
- Church to Send Email Messages to Members Worldwide November 25, 2014
- The Voice of Religious Conscience November 25, 2014
- Mormons Join Christians Around the World to Celebrate the Bible November 25, 2014
Posts Tagged ‘ self reliance ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen