The word of wisdom is strongly connected with who we are as Mormons—it has become as much an identifier as pork is for Jews and for Muslims. We emphasize the importance of this teaching in lessons like the current Gospel Doctrine lesson (#22), and we teach it to kids almost from birth. But while section 89 was received by Joseph Smith in 1833, it really didn’t become an identifying characteristic of Mormons until past 1900 and, as I understand it, was only included among the Temple recommend questions in the 1950s. It is perhaps no surprise, then, that it... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- The Next Generation’s Faith Crisis
- Tim: thor– I think it’s quite often a combination of...
- thor: For another perspective – I am 33, BIC, strong parental home and home wards, 2...
- Blinker: It might be premature to speak of the next generation’s faith crisis, when...
- P Harline: I’m tired of all the Reformation-loving kids trampling the flower beds.
- Craig H.: Steve, sure, Luther eventually didn’t love All Saints Day, but he was...
Notes From All Over
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | October 31 October 31, 2014
- First Presidency Issues Letter Encouraging Political Participation, Voting October 29, 2014
- Church Continues to Monitor and Respond to Ebola Situation October 29, 2014
- Freedom of Religion in the Workplace Discussed at the UN October 28, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 28 October 2014 October 28, 2014
- Difference and Dignity October 24, 2014