“In the 1830s, on the western frontier of Missouri, ball was the favorite sport of Joseph Smith, founder of a new religious sect called the Mormons1.” A couple of years ago I received as a Christmas present the Baseball documentary by Ken Burns, the PBS series that as much as anything has driven my current fascination with the game and led to the Mormon Baseball blog. Early in the first of the documentary’s 10 parts, the narrator makes the above claim, something that even today I don’t hear from Mormon historians. Could it be that Joseph Smith played and... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Magic and Mechanisms
- Nathaniel Givens: Slifo- Perhaps Santa Claus deceptions are actually… a pacifying...
- Mary Ann: #17 Martin – “Its what I liked best about C. Strayer’s talk – that...
- Silfo: Perhaps Santa Claus deceptions are actually myths or maybe one reading of a parable...
- Craig H.: That’s really nice Wilfried, and heartbreakingly true.
- areynolds2466: That’s not a very generous reading, N. This is beautiful and rings...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Church Provides Preview of Historic Site Under Construction in Pennsylvania September 29, 2014
- Church Hosts Second General Women’s Meeting for Women and Girls September 27, 2014
- Pew: Religion Losing Influence in America September 24, 2014
- Church History Museum Closes for Interior Renovation September 24, 2014
- Exhibit Highlights Women in the Scriptures September 24, 2014
- Church Members Look Forward to Second General Women’s Meeting September 24, 2014