Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- When to Disobey
- Jonathan Cavender: DQ: It is discussions like this one (and observations like yours) that...
- DQ: Ridiculous ipad keyboard….
- DQ: I’m amused at how the commentary by and large has at this point returned to the...
Notes From All Over
- Violin Phenom Lindsey Stirling to Live Chat Online with Mormon Youth November 24, 2014
- Faith Online: In Your Own Words | 21 November 2014 November 21, 2014
- Historic Vatican Summit on Strengthening Marriage Concludes November 19, 2014
- 'Glorious’ Video Compilation Features Singers Around the World November 18, 2014
- Church Moves Forward With Expansion Plans for Provo MTC November 18, 2014
- At Vatican Summit, Mormon Leader Calls for “Renaissance” of Happy Marriages November 18, 2014
Posts Tagged ‘ helping the poor ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen