Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Visitor at a missionary reunion
- Wilfried: Thank you all for responses. Thank you, areynolds, Craig, and Naismith, for the...
- Erik: If these temple-worthy converts had testimonys based on more than letters from the...
- Hedgehog: “Traditional religion is far from thriving in the hard sciences. It is...
- Mary Ann: Scientism may not be an official religion, but it is a belief system which...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- VIDEO: Trujillo Family From Ecuador Answers the Call to Serve October 1, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 30 September 2014 September 30, 2014
- Mormonism in Pictures: Preparing for a Worldwide General Conference September 30, 2014
- Church Provides Preview of Historic Site Under Construction in Pennsylvania September 29, 2014
- Church Hosts Second General Women’s Meeting for Women and Girls September 27, 2014
- Church Members Look Forward to Second General Women’s Meeting September 24, 2014
Posts Tagged ‘ helping the poor ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen