Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- The Perversity of Orthodoxy
- Mortimer: Wilfried, I’m back from my chocolate binge ; ) Regarding #17, I hope you...
- Trevor: News just came out that the Church has donated to the Utah Pride Center, so we can...
- Wilfried: Julia (9) , thank you for your comment. Church history seems to have always been...
Notes From All Over
- BYU to Host Religious Freedom Conference in July July 1, 2015
- Church Leaders Counsel Members After Supreme Court Same-Sex Marriage Decision June 30, 2015
- MOTION GRAPHIC: LDS Charities Helps Provide Immunizations Around the World June 29, 2015
- Supreme Court Decision Will Not Alter Doctrine on Marriage June 26, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites June 25, 2015 June 25, 2015
- Journalist Notes Similarities on Environmental Stewardship Between Faiths June 23, 2015
Posts Tagged ‘ helping the poor ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen