Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- On Conflation; or, Throwing the Baby Out with the Bathwater in 1911
- Brad L: Here it is.
- Josh Smith: DQ, I’m not sure what you’re saying. I went back and read my...
- Brad L: it’s not the backwards conservatives saying the debate is over. Eldon...
- Another Joel: “Esau who squandered his birthright for a bowl of soup” Speaking...
- Michael McNew: As stated in this radio show: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=H37793fEQ2s...
Notes From All Over
- Church Commemorates War of 1812, End of Civil War 150th Anniversary May 22, 2015
- Church to Monitor BSA Policy Discussion May 21, 2015
- Church Dedicates Córdoba Argentina Temple May 17, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 13 May 2015 May 13, 2015
- BYU–Hawaii's Board of Trustees Announces New President May 12, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites May 8, 2015 May 8, 2015
Posts Tagged ‘ helping the poor ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen