Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Reading Nephi – 1:18-20
- Clark Goble: It seems a reasonable assumption especially given the quasi-messianic...
- James Olsen: I’ve also spoken to scholars who postulate that shorter, deutero-Isaiah...
Notes From All Over
- Church Recognized for Saving Electricity and Protecting the Environment October 8, 2015
- Leadership Changes in Presidency of the Seventy Announced October 6, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | October 5, 2015 October 5, 2015
- Coverage and News Media Resources from the 185th Semiannual General Conference October 3, 2015
- Photos of the Speakers From the 185th Semiannual General Conference October 3, 2015
- The World Report October 3, 2015
Posts Tagged ‘ helping the poor ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen