Often when we discuss the principles of welfare today, we talk as if the whole idea of welfare developed in the 1930s, along with the current program. In reality, before the current program caring for the needy, poor and promoting self-reliance were largely the purview of the Relief Society. And so it is a Song of the Sisters of the Relief Society (familiar today since it is the poem on which the current hymn, As Sisters in Zion, is based — Julie also posted here on Times and Seasons about this poem) that I present below to help us... Read more »
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Truth and Contradiction in Religious Communities
- Nathaniel Givens: Nate- I personally like contradictions, and don’t feel quite at ease...
- Nathaniel Givens: waytogonate- You can also broaden this idea of “complimentary...
- Carey Foushee: Jadan (37), “When one makes a truth claim, the burden of proof is...
- Jared vdH: Jadan (37), While I appreciate that for some the threat of death, hell, and...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 28 August 2014 August 28, 2014
- Fort Lauderdale Temple Named Best Cultural/Worship Project by Top Southeast Contractors August 27, 2014
- Ground Broken for Meridian Idaho Temple August 23, 2014
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | 23 August August 23, 2014
- Apostle Calls for Uplifting Social Media Messages to Sweep the Earth August 19, 2014
- Mormonism in Pictures: What Do Mormon Teens Do? August 14, 2014
Posts Tagged ‘ helping the poor ’
September 29, 2013 | no commentsBy Kent Larsen