One of the fascinating things that happen in Lehi’s fatherly advice to Jacob in 2 Nephi 1 and 2 is that he tries to put together an overall philosophical basis for the gospel. Here the war in Heaven is related to our ability to choose, the fall is related to the atonement, and our choices are related to the very nature of existence, which, Lehi says, requires that there be an “opposition in all things.” Read more »
- A More Nuanced Approach to Scripture
- Steve Smith: Cameron, I was mainly taking on the centrist attitude toward the LDS...
- Cameron N.: Steve, I don’t think your flat earth example is the best analogy. One is...
- Steve Smith: Kent, I take it that by ‘gospel’ you mean the LDS church’s...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Reports Show Alcohol’s Destructive Influence Worldwide July 9, 2014
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | 9 July July 9, 2014
- Church Expands Use of Digital Devices for Missionary Work July 2, 2014
- Apostle Throws Out the First Pitch at Dodgers Game July 1, 2014
- How and When Were the First Mormon Sister Missionaries Called? This Video Explains June 30, 2014
- Church Leaders' Message Addresses Doctrine, Questions June 28, 2014
Posts Tagged ‘ agency ’
Thanks, Marc for the introduction, and for the opportunity to converse with friends old and new at T & S. Before I annoy (at least some of) you with some political reflections, let me run past you some thoughts on agency and atonement that occurred to me in trying to teach Religion 121 (Book of Mormon Part 1) to BYU students. I’m not sure I connected with many of themwith these ontological meditations on Second Nephi 2, but I’m hoping somewhere out there in this cyberspace I might find some interested interlocutors. As I review the question of agency with... Read more »