Introvert Nirvana

February 15, 2014 | 15 comments

It dawned on me today that I have achieved Introvert Nirvana in Callings Roulette:

My visiting teaching route is a letter route.

My visiting and home teachers are completely AWOL.

My calling is to teach, via webcast, a weekly class on the scriptures for the Stake Relief Society.

It doesn’t get much better than this.

15 Responses to Introvert Nirvana

1. Carrie on February 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Julie,
    Congrats. I am there myself. I visiting teach by letter or gift I feel so inclined. My calling is community service. My home/visiting teachers are perfectly AWOL. It is heavenly. Welcome to the kingdom.

2. Ben S. on February 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Doesn’t blogging about it kind of give it away?

3. Sally on February 15, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Can we access your web class online? Would love to listen

4. Craig H. on February 15, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Awesome Julie. Once while touring the San Juan Islands in Washington State we rented some bikes at a place, and the guy noticed someone’s BYU gear, and asked whether LDS, etc., and it struck me to ask, where do you guys go to church? He said they do it over the internet, as the ferry rides would take too long. Genius. That got me puzzling over how they did the sacrament: did it have to be blessed separately in each home? Did you set the tray in front of the monitor before the universal blessing, etc.? Thoughts were soaring.

5. jks on February 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I attended the San Juan Islands sacrament meeting with people tuned in over the internet. It was really cool when we were there for Fast & Testimony meeting and heard people contribute from the other islands. I believe the other islands did their own sacrament. I imagine they gather together at different meeting places depending on how many on each island?

6. jcc on February 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm

I bet it is shorter than 3 hours :)

7. Chet on February 15, 2014 at 11:00 pm

It’s time to apply disruptive innovation to home teaching.

8. Cameron N. on February 15, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I am an introvert, but I never regret the contact, in fact, I always wonder as the get together is ending why I avoid engaging in more experiences so much!

Fun post.

9. Amira on February 16, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Julie, are you going to come back and answer Sally’s question? Because I’d love to listen too. And I’m even in your time zone, for the first time ever.

10. Julie M. Smith on February 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Sally (and Amira), I think it is supposed to be for my stake only, sorry.

11. Julie M. Smith on February 16, 2014 at 5:01 pm

True story, although you may not believe it:

(this morning)

Woman In My Ward Who I Really Like: “I’m your new visiting teacher! But I’m something of an AWOL visiting teacher . . .”

Me: “Where did you get that expression?!?”

WIMWWIRL: “Oh, it’s an old phrase from World War II.”

Turns out she hadn’t read this post; it was just a marvelous coincidence. (Dare I say a tender mercy?)

Needless to say, I told her AWOL visiting teachers were my favorite kind!

12. Alison Moore Smith on February 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Pssst. Julie. Either you forgot the fatal accident you had recently or you were translated. There are no other explanations.

13. Julie M. Smith on February 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

AMS, if you could hear my evil private thoughts during SS, you would know there there was no way in hell that I had been translated!

14. Cyl on February 16, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Lucky ducky! I serve in a presidency, have attentive and solicitous HT and VT, and even though I have no time for a route, have actual “please visit me” sisters. And I am often too exhausted to attend your Saturday evening class, but am glad that email comes every week.

And it’s no use telling people I am an introvert; no one believes me.

15. Marie on February 18, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I have nearly achieved this lately, and it is glorious. (I have attentive visiting teachers, but sweet and unobtrusive, and mainly want to feed me and rescue me when my car breaks down). I’m afraid to talk too loudly, though, because the Mormon angels are extravert angels and they might shatter my reverie with a tracting-only mission call.

I continue to pray for the Day when the hyper-social trappings of Mormon culture will be stripped away, leaving a nice balance between private devotions and substantive social interaction (preferably 70% online). Perhaps a nice steep rise in gas prices could make it happen….or a Church proclamation on the evils of air pollution.