The Ensign Cover

June 23, 2011 | 15 comments

I have to admit that I am not usually thrilled by the images in the Ensign. In fact, usually they remind me of these. But this month’s cover . . . I’m at a loss. It was so unexpected. It’s lovely. It’s thoughtful and reflective and somehow manages to convey deep faith.

I realize this image is small; I couldn’t enlarge it without blurring it. Look in your mailbox for the real deal.

15 Responses to The Ensign Cover

1. KLC on June 23, 2011 at 9:21 am

Julie, I laughed when I clicked on your link. For a long time I’ve thought that the Friend’s covers have been designed by a former employee of the Watchtower.

2. Tricia on June 23, 2011 at 11:32 am

I just got mine out of the mailbox and did a double take. I wasn’t sure it was the Ensign! I love it also.

3. Marjorie Conder on June 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm

We won’t get ours until late next week. The farther you are from SL the sooner they send them out. We are at the end of the row. Not that I think that is unfair. It is just interesting that the closer you are physically to Church headquarters the later you get materials. I understand that this is deliberate design.

4. James on June 23, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I looked at the picture and immediately concluded that it was going to be another boring edition of the Ensign.

I know, don’t judge a book by its cover. I’ll repent.

5. Coffinberry on June 23, 2011 at 1:14 pm

My Liahona (Spanish) arrived a couple of days before my Ensign. I remember thinking when I pulled the Liahona out of the mailbox how much I liked that cover picture, and wondered to myself if the same picture would be on the Ensign. I was delighted to see that it was.

6. J. Stapley on June 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Perhaps it is a response to this.

7. J. Stapley on June 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm

huh…must have messed up the html.

I meant this: http://www.nine-moons.com/?p=1303 (there was some outreach by Church Magazines at the time).

8. David on June 23, 2011 at 4:28 pm

KLC, Why the criticism of the Watchtower? It shows contempt of our Jehovah Witness brothers and sisters.

9. Tim on June 23, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Contempt of Watchtower art shows no more contempt for Jehovah Witnesses than contempt of LDS meetinghouse architecture shows contempt for members of the LDS church.

10. KLC on June 23, 2011 at 6:50 pm

David, where do you read criticism? I only noted similarities in style and Watchtower art has a very distinct style.

11. jjohnsen on June 23, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Nice lighting in that picture. Usually they look like someone browsed for five minutes on a stock art site under the “upper-class family” section and choose whatever has the blandest look.

12. lyle on June 24, 2011 at 7:33 am

I guess I’m just not as sophisticated an art consumer as the other posters, for I neither see any resemblance to Communist Chinese art, nor anything striking or different, in this cover or any of the other covers of the Ensign.

13. Adam Greenwood on June 24, 2011 at 1:01 pm

As sentimental a cover as I’ve seen on the Ensign, but I still like it.

14. Chris on June 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I started reading my copy. Definitely not boring. Lots of articles to look forward to.

15. Kurt on June 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I actually find the covers of the Ensign to be inspirational in most cases. To me, they convey a sense of peace, calm, and inspiration. I agree, however, that this cover is unique, and something of a work of art in itself.