Serving God with Our Minds: SMPT Conference This Weekend

April 4, 2011 | 6 comments

This weekend at BYU, the Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology will hold its 8th Annual Meeting on the theme, “Serving God with Our Minds—The Place of Philosophy, Theology, and Scholarship in a Prophetic Church.” Featured speakers include Patrick Mason, who will soon be taking the Howard W. Hunter Chair of Mormon Studies at Claremont, Alan Wilkins, a former Academic Vice President and currently Associate Director of the Faculty Center at BYU, and Jack Welch, Robert K. Thomas University Professor in the BYU Law School. Sessions will address themes including the role of theology in devotional life, prophets and continuing revelation, spiritual dimensions of education at BYU and elsewhere, scriptural interpretation, liberation theology, and justice in a gospel society. A session on “Art and Philosophy of Art in the Restored Church” includes reflections by artists with work in the “Seek My Face” exhibit currently showing in the Church History Museum. The conference runs Thursday-Saturday, April 7-9. All sessions are free and open to the public. For more information, see the conference schedule on the SMPT website.

6 Responses to Serving God with Our Minds: SMPT Conference This Weekend

1. Chris H. on April 5, 2011 at 10:07 am

It looks great. I wish I could be there this year. Of course, I still have not answered the question Ben asked me last year. :)

2. Matt W. on April 5, 2011 at 10:52 am

I need to renew my membership. I’ve had the form printed out and sitting on my desk since christmas, but haven’t gotten around to mailing it.

3. aquinas on April 5, 2011 at 11:21 am

Is there any way to make the membership application process more efficient by allowing online payment?

4. Eric Nielson on April 5, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Speaking of membership, I payed my dues last year, and never received a copy of element. And I still can not access the audio of my presentation from last year. And I have sent dozens of emails to the SMPT secretry regarding this.

Anyway, it does look like a great conference. Enjoy.

5. CatherineWO on April 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

It does look like an interesting conference. I also sent a check for dues last year, never received a copy of Element and later realized that my check had never been cashed. Repeated emails and phone messages were never returned, so I can only assume that this is an organization which does not want new members?

6. Ben H on April 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Or an organization run purely by volunteer labor by overcommitted people : )
    The conference was pretty great, though, particularly the speakers and discussion, which are always the best part.