A Mormon Image: Generations

May 4, 2010 | 7 comments

Generations

In honor of my grandfather, who passed away yesterday at the tender age of 93, I thought I’d post a few photographs.  He was a kind and generous man who was always upright in his dealings and loved to surround himself with family.  He was not a member of the Church (my mother is a convert), but he led a moderate and principled life that will continue to serve as an example to me. His memory will be carried by his children and numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  This last fall, my wife and I were lucky enough to sneak away to Switzerland with our son and spend some time with him while he was still in good health.  Here we are visiting the grave of my late grandmother–my grandfather’s wife of 65 years.

by Marc Bohn

Switzerland 419
Switzerland 420

Switzerland 422

Switzerland 417

___

These pictures are part of our ongoing series highlighting Mormon images. Comments to the post are welcome; all comments should be respectful. In addition we invite you to submit your own images to the Mormon Image series. Other images in the series can be found here. Rules and instructions, including submissions guidelines, can be found here.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to A Mormon Image: Generations

1. Matt Evans on May 4, 2010 at 11:10 am

He sounds like a great man, Marc. Where did he live?

2. Marc Bohn on May 4, 2010 at 11:25 am

Just outside of Bern, a small suburb named Gümligen (probably about 25 minutes from the Temple in Zollikofen).

My mother came to the United States in the mid-1960s to attend Brigham Young University at the encouragement of a Mormon exchange student her family had hosted. The rest is, as they say, history.

3. David Baker on May 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Marc, I’m very sorry to hear about your loss. What a blessing that you got to visit with him. I bet it meant a lot to him to meet Erich as well.

4. Bill of Wasilla on May 4, 2010 at 1:38 pm

I’m sorry for your loss – yet how fortunate you were to have your grandfather for so long – and how fortunate he to have had 65 years on this earth with his wife. He looks like a good man.

Nice little picture series – and this place of death and repose is oh so green!

5. Jon Miranda on May 4, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Anyone that has parents/grandparents alive now should realize the blessing. You can pick up the phone and they will answer. The day will come when they will not answer. Just realize how life is such a blessing but how short it is. Love the pics!!!

6. Becky Opp on May 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Sorry to hear but LOVE the photo memories!

7. Kim Siever on May 5, 2010 at 8:30 am

Wow. What a lovely cemetery.