A Mormon Image: Apostle and Cowboy

May 21, 2010 | 10 comments

Prophet and Cowboy

Elder George Albert Smith at Sundown Ranch in Aripine, Arizona (1941).

___

This picture is part of our ongoing series highlighting Mormon images. Comments to the post are welcome; all comments should be respectful. In addition we invite you to submit your own images to the Mormon Image series. Other images in the series can be found here. Rules and instructions, including submissions guidelines, can be found here.

Tags: , , ,

10 Responses to A Mormon Image: Apostle and Cowboy

1. Dane Laverty on May 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Very cool. I don’t know much about George Albert Smith, but I’ve long thought he was the coolest looking prophet we’ve had :) Kind of too bad the goatee look went out of fashion so quickly. Why does the fence rail on the top right say “THE END”?

2. Joseph Smidt on May 21, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I wonder if he was as colorful with his language while handeling cattle as J. Golden Kimball claimed you had to be. :)

3. Jay S on May 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Are you sure this is in “Airpine, AZ”? I’ve never heard of it, and a search comes up empty. This does look a lot like “Alpine, Az”. Airpine is an awesome name for a high desert ranch though!

[Editor: Not positive, but that's what the source I have says. Will have to look into it.]

[Editor: Looks like Tim below has solved the riddle... I've corrected the main post.]

4. Mex Davis on May 21, 2010 at 3:10 pm

The Lord calling a cowboy to be a prophet is just about the coolest thing around. Pres Mckay also liked horses and had hat and boots to match. When I was a little boy that knowledge sealed my testimony. Well at least they were close enough for me.

5. Bruce on May 22, 2010 at 12:48 am

6. Ray on May 23, 2010 at 6:35 am

He’s sort of the forgotten church president, isn’t he? Most people don’t even know he was president.

7. Tim on May 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

This is Aripine, AZ. It is located about 13 miles outside of Heber, AZ just off highway 260 going towards Show Low. The pioneers settled it, under the direction of Brigham Young, and attempted to dry farm there, but it didn’t work out. It was then turned into a boys and girls ranch, called the “Sundown Ranch” owned by Fred Turley. My grandparents bought it from Fred Turley in 1956.

8. SUNNofaB.C.Rich on May 24, 2010 at 9:58 pm

lots of mormons in that part of Arizona… especially in Snowflake it seems… can’t see I much miss that place.

9. Bill of Wasilla on May 26, 2010 at 5:33 pm

That’s the general part of AZ that I am in right now. White Mountain Apache country.

10. Jana Turley on May 27, 2010 at 4:30 pm

The man on the far right is either my husbands grandfather Barr or his brother Fred Turley. The Sundown Ranch was started as an ingenious way to make the payments on the ranch just before the great depression. It was a wonderful experience and a great part of my husbands family history. Aripine had a Girls and Boys Ranch for many years. The book “Larry” was writeh by a young boy who came as a guest to the ranch and was impressed by this “cowboy “way or life.