Theological Anthropology at UVU this weekend

March 24, 2010 | 16 comments

The Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology holds its 2010 conference at UVU this Thursday through Saturday (March 25-27) on the theme of theological anthropology. Invited speakers include:

Terryl L. Givens (University of Richmond)—”Finding the Divine in Man: Romantic Angst and the Collapse of Transcendence”;
    Kevin Hart (University of Virginia)—”The Prodigal Son”;
    Laurence Hemming (Lancaster University)—”A Singular Humanity: The End of Anthropology”;
    David K. O’Connor (University of Notre Dame)—”Plato, Purity, and the Iconoclast Temptation: A Catholic Imaginarium”

Other session themes include agency and grace, the natural man, human pre-existence, perfectability and theosis. The full conference schedule and abstracts of the presentations are listed on the SMPT website. All sessions are free and open to the public.

16 Responses to Theological Anthropology at UVU this weekend

1. Chris Henrichsen on March 24, 2010 at 9:32 pm

See you there!

2. Ben on March 25, 2010 at 3:58 am

Wish I could attend.

3. document on March 25, 2010 at 10:44 am

The link is broken, it should be http://www.smpt.org/conferences_2010.html

4. Clark on March 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I’ll be there tomorrow and will be giving a tour of our chocolate factor (a block away) sometime tomorrow as well for anyone interested.

5. DavidC on March 25, 2010 at 7:03 pm

What “chocolate factor?”

6. Mark D. on March 26, 2010 at 8:45 am

Chocolate “factory”, no doubt.

7. Bored in Vernal on March 26, 2010 at 9:18 am

Was anyone else disturbed by Terryl Givens’ talk? It sounds pretty to say that when transcendence is gone there is a beauty to the divinity in the human soul that is left, but I guess that’s not enough for me. I probably would not “spend my life devoted to a grand idea that SHOULD be true, even if it’s not.” Maybe I do believe in God, after all.

8. DavidC on March 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I apparently don’t have the depth to be disturbed by such a subtle point made by someone who mesmerizes me by his knowledge and eloquence. I took it to mean something like there is a kind of transcendence in wanting grand ideas to be true.

I didn’t hear about a tour, but I came in late.

9. Clark on March 26, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Sorry – a bunch of things came up at work and I wasn’t able to make it today. I’ll be there tomorrow morning though.

10. Chris Henrichsen on March 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm

BiV,

I missed it (had to make pinewood derby cars with my boys), could you explain to me a bit more, what aspect of that bothers you? (I just figured out who you are and will have to say hello on Saturday).

Clark,

I missed you. Blake Ostler asked me about the tension between coersion and agency. It made me think of you.

11. Clark on March 26, 2010 at 6:22 pm

David, perils of typing on my iPhone. I was going to take people on a tour of the factory today. I’ll try and do it tomorrow morning.

12. Chris Henrichsen on March 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Anyone with a wife or daughters should recognize that the Chocolate factor is a real concept.

13. Clark on March 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Chris, I swung by, and then got a call and had to leave again. This was supposed to be my “rest” week and instead it’s been one of my busiest. I was actually outside the door when you were speaking. That was one of the sessions I really wanted to attend.

14. Chris Henrichsen on March 26, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I will post it on FPR sometime next week. I can relate to your week. Personal stuff has cause me to miss a number of sessions.

15. DavidC on March 27, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Clark, I walked home for lunch to find an offer to see the Dragon movie, so I won’t be back at the conference, though I was looking forward to hearing Lawrence Hemming. I’m local, obviously, so maybe some other time.

16. Bored in Vernal on March 27, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Chris, great to meet you! Will post more on the Givens talk at Mormon Matters. Look for it.