Scholars Testify

February 6, 2010 | 11 comments

If you haven’t yet done so, take a look at the discussions over at Mormon Scholars Testify, where a set of fascinating and often familiar voices, including Jim Faulconer, Wilfried Decoo, Richard Bushman, Kevin Barney, Blake Ostler, David H. Bailey, and dozens more, describe the foundations of their beliefs. It’s a great project, and well worth checking out.

11 Responses to Scholars Testify

1. Jonovitch on February 7, 2010 at 12:26 am

Wow. Can’t wait to spend some time there. Just glancing through, I recognized some of my favorite people from BYU (the ones who made it worthwhile to be there). And I saw others, from BYU and elsewhere, who I can already tell I wish I knew.

This is going to become one of the great resources on the Internet.

Jon

2. m&m on February 7, 2010 at 3:51 am

So glad they are doing this!

3. Jared on February 7, 2010 at 10:01 am

It’s about time. I hope the approach of concealing our testimonies for fear we might reveal something too sacred is being replaced by giving a reason why we believe/know.

I appreciate Elder Haight’s telling of his “panoramic” vision in general conference. Here

4. Alison Moore Smith on February 7, 2010 at 11:51 am

Great stuff. I love BYU, but I’m particularly grateful for those elsewhere who are willing to speak up. It’s usually pretty safe to bear your testimony at BYU :) but sometimes others get flack for doing so. Kudos to all involved.

5. sl on February 7, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Jared, thanks for sharing that link. I’ve always been fascinated with NDE’s and am annoyed with LDS who are skeptical of them. It’s nice to have an apostle recount his own.

6. Cameron Nielsen on February 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm

NDEs? What does that acronym mean?

7. Kaimi Wenger on February 7, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I think it means near death experiences.

8. Rico on February 8, 2010 at 6:46 am

Although I do value Mormon scholars and their faith but this type of thing always seemed a little too much like a theological comfort blanket. I can justify or feel good about my peculiar status as a Mormon because there are really smart people who can cite as fellow-believers. It could lead us to a weird form of hero-worship or celebrity (faith) culture? I don’t know if this is because, in Britain, names like Richard Bushman, Terryl Givens etc. just do not make any waves.

That being said on a personal level, Bushman’s insights in his essay on Why I Believe in BYU Studies was a source of spiritual strength for me during a faith crisis.

9. Ida Tarbell on February 8, 2010 at 9:32 am

I’m looking for something more along the lines of “Mormon Scholars Beat Their Heads Against the Wall in Frustration but Keep Going to Church Anyway.”

10. WJ on February 8, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Wait, what, educated and faithful??? Nah, can’t be.

11. John Jackson on February 12, 2010 at 12:31 am

Haven’t made it to the Scholars Testify website, yet, but want to thank Jared for the link to Elder Haight’s 1989 General Conference testimony.