PSA — email junk from Wegame

August 7, 2009 | 9 comments

So if you get an email over the next little while purporting to offer you pictures or a message from someone you know, and the email comes from Wegame, it’s very likely junk.

You go to their website, they ask for your email info (including password). If, in a moment of weakness or trust, you give it to them, they send a fraudulent message to everyone in your address box saying _you_ have pictures or some such for them to see at the above mentioned web site.

For some reason, I find this one particularly evil. And since it spreads by network, I imagine it is hitting many a Mormon now or soon or recently.

9 Responses to PSA — email junk from Wegame

1. Ben on August 7, 2009 at 11:55 am

Yep. Just got hit with this 5 minutes ago from someone very unlikely to be uploading pictures to a gaming site. Glad I didn’t carry it out.

New watchword- “always google before you leap.”

2. Tim on August 7, 2009 at 11:57 am

And never give out your passwords…

3. clark on August 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Don’t use the same passwords everywhere. If you’re on a Mac 1Password easily lets you use custom passwords for every website. I’m just starting to use it so I haven’t quite gone that far. But I never use my email/computer password on any website.

4. danithew on August 8, 2009 at 2:02 am

I got an email from wegame and spammed it – purely on instinct. A few days ago someone I knew fell for it and I received an email related to that incident. I felt like I dodged a bullet.

5. Aaron on August 8, 2009 at 9:24 am

Thanks. Now help me prevent those annoying junk phone calls on my cell phone. Last winter I was on the ski lift, it was snowing and blowing and my fingers were almost frozen, and my phone rang. Thinking it was an urgent call from my wife, I fumbled in my jacket, finally got the phone out, and discovered it was Hilton Hotels trying to sell me a vacation trip to Orlando. Is technology really making our lives better?

6. Alfred on August 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I signed up for WeGame just fine. All you have to do is uncheck the people you don’t want to invite. You should never give out your password to an unknown site anyway.

7. Frank McIntyre on August 9, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Alfred,

I think they treated you better than several other people I know.

8. Nate on August 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Well, it took 10 days, but I just got my first one….

9. Brent Hayes on August 20, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Had to send out apology to all my contacts! What a major inconvenience and waste of time caused by the email sent out from wegame.com with my name on it. My contact list was deceitfully hacked as I clicked too quickly thinking I was going to watch a meaningful video! Didn’t know I was signing up on wegame.com. Good advice, too bad my guard was down.
    Does anyone know how to remove one’s self from wegame database?