Sunday Morning Session Notes

April 5, 2009 | 10 comments

Here’s a few thoughts on Sunday Morning’s session of conference. We encourage everyone to take notes during each session and post their thoughts in comments here.

Speakers:

• Elder Uchtdorf — Discipleship. “Discipleship is not a spectator sport.” “Its never too late (to change your life).” Unusually, mentioned that today is Palm Sunday.
  • Elder Anderson — Basically gave his testimony of Christ — which seems almost a requirement for newly-called Apostles. In keeping with his experience, he observed that pioneers didn’t just cross the plains, they exist in every land. There are far more pioneers today.
  • Elder Gardner — Preparing for Change. He said we can do this by 1. Following the Prophets; 2. Taking an Eternal Perspective; 3. Exercising Faith; and 4. Being of Good Cheer
  • Sister Thompson — Strengthening Families. “We must be ‘fixed in our purpose’ as we seek to increase in faith and personal righteousness, strengthen our families and homes, and serve the Lord and His children.”
  • Elder Holland — The Mission of the Lord Jesus Christ. “The Father may have never been closer to his son than in these final moments.” “May we stand by Jesus Christ… for surely that is how he stood by us…”
  • President Monson — While we are facing an economic downturn, while the situation is grim and moral footings of society continue to slip, we should focus on the blessings, remaining cheerful in the face of adversity. Three heart-rending stories illustrate the theme. He said that though the  rains fall about us, our knowledge of our Heavenly Father will sustain us.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Sunday Morning Session Notes

1. jjackson on April 5, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Really enjoyed the session until the cheesy montage during the final hymn. Save that stuff for posthumous tributes. When it gets thrown in now it smacks of corporate branding strategies.

2. Marc Bohn on April 5, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Uchtdorf has quickly become one of my favorite speakers to hear. His recent talks, including his address this morning, are among those that move me and speak to me the most. I’ve been wondering today how he’s received by Saints abroad. Do they, especially those from Europe, feel a special connection to him?

3. Tiffany on April 5, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Elder Holland’s talk about Christ was very inspiring to me.

4. Bookslinger on April 5, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Very powerful talks during Sunday’s first session, especially Elder Uchtdort and Elder Holland. I took some investigators and one of them was literally on the edge of his seat taking notes.

5. CB on April 5, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Elder Holland’s talk on the atonement is one of my favorite talks ever given in a General Conference. I look forward to reading it.
    I wish the GA’s would cite examples that pertain to a world-wide Church. The story of the Edsel dealership may not resonate with someone living in Nigeria.

6. ross hurst on April 5, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Elder Gardner did not speak as he died over 100 years ago. Elder Steve Snow told his story in his talk.

7. Kent Larsen on April 6, 2009 at 12:07 am

Ross, thanks for the correction. I’ve been doing this off the audio instead of the video feed, and its quite easy to make errors of this kind.

8. rd on April 6, 2009 at 5:01 am

Or maybe, rather than corporate branding, the montage of prophetic images conveys a hope that most of the members that don’t see him often . . . Do see him out and about and performing his duties. I found it inspiring. My kids were taken by it.

9. Steve on April 6, 2009 at 12:12 pm

CB (#5),

The story of the Edsel doesn’t immediately resonate with an American of my generaton (with no education in marketing)either, but Elder Ballard was quick to explain the significance of the reference.

I “got it,” despite the generation gap.

Don’t underestimate Nigerians.

10. Alison Moore Smith on April 6, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Uchtdorf and Holland: hands down my favorites this entire conference. This was a great session.