Genesis (2:7) says that God breathed life into Adam’s nostrils. Is our life a portion of God’s? Jesus quoted a Psalm (82:6) that said, “Ye are gods,” when confronted about his claims to divinity. Mormons are usually not so bold, but there is certainly an element in our tradition that states that humans are children of God, like godlings, capable of developing into gods. Is this idea arrogant or humbling? It depends. Is God arbitrary? then it would seem to justify irresponsibility. Is God loving and holy? then it would seem rather to remove all of our excuses for ungodliness. Does it encourage us to shrug off God’s commandments, or does it lay upon us infinite responsibilities? Does it teach us to be self-centered, or does it require us to treat one another as divine, holy beings, whom to mistreat or offend is blasphemous? Christ said, “inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” (Matthew 25:40). Does it make us proud of our achievements and successes, or show how dreadfully we have fallen from our proper character?
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Church Sticks with Boys
- Nate: ““Fundamentalization” — an ugly word, but it fits.” Sorry. I don’t...
- Dave: “Fundamentalization̶ 1; — an ugly word, but it fits.
- Wilfried: Thanks, Alison. Amen. There is something strange about the church’s statement...
- Clark Goble: Yes, but there are people who can’t attend who I’d call Mormon....
- Frank Mcintyre: Clark, my thoughts on retention are similar to yours. But i guess...
Notes From All Over
- Angel Moroni Lifted to the Top of the Fort Collins Colorado Temple August 27, 2015
- Church to Go Forward with Scouting Program August 26, 2015
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | August 25, 2015 August 25, 2015
- First Latter-day Saint Temple in Indiana Dedicated August 23, 2015
- Frankfurt Germany Temple to Close for Renovation August 20, 2015
- Women Church Leaders Appointed to Leadership Councils August 19, 2015
Breathing the Breath of God
April 12, 2009 | 4 commentsBy Ben Huff