Genesis (2:7) says that God breathed life into Adam’s nostrils. Is our life a portion of God’s? Jesus quoted a Psalm (82:6) that said, “Ye are gods,” when confronted about his claims to divinity. Mormons are usually not so bold, but there is certainly an element in our tradition that states that humans are children of God, like godlings, capable of developing into gods. Is this idea arrogant or humbling? It depends. Is God arbitrary? then it would seem to justify irresponsibility. Is God loving and holy? then it would seem rather to remove all of our excuses for ungodliness. Does it encourage us to shrug off God’s commandments, or does it lay upon us infinite responsibilities? Does it teach us to be self-centered, or does it require us to treat one another as divine, holy beings, whom to mistreat or offend is blasphemous? Christ said, “inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me” (Matthew 25:40). Does it make us proud of our achievements and successes, or show how dreadfully we have fallen from our proper character?
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Practical Apologetics: Historicity
- Jared vdH: Steve Smith, Why would we expect an oral tradition to exist about an anciently...
- Dave: Devolved … in a positive way.
- John KL: Well, all I was going to say was… “devolved?” I thought it was...
- Walter van Beek: Indeed, Mary Ann. the Samaritans ARE of the House of Israël, and the...
- Mary Ann: Terry, Samaritans considered themselves members of the House of Israel through...
Notes From All Over
- Mormon Leaders Call for Laws That Protect Religious Freedom January 27, 2015
- Reid L. Neilson Named Assistant Church Historian and Recorder January 23, 2015
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | Jan 23 January 23, 2015
- Catholic Archbishop Delivers Message on Religious Freedom at Brigham Young University January 23, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 22 January 2015 January 22, 2015
- Mormonism In the News: Getting It Right | January 22, 2015 January 22, 2015
Breathing the Breath of God
April 12, 2009 | 4 commentsBy Ben Huff