Notes From All Over

February 27, 2009 | 11 comments

Comment on the week in sidebar links.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to Notes From All Over

1. Tim on February 27, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for the link to the California case.
    As a side note: I know use of Westlaw is extremely expensive. Is it legit to post a case from Westlaw on the internet, for free?
    I know absolutely nothing about copyrights, etc.–I’m just curious about the use of Westlaw.

2. Marc Bohn on February 27, 2009 at 2:29 pm

You can’t copyright a judicial decision (see, e.g., Matthew Bender and Hyperlaw v. West Publishing).

3. jimbob on February 27, 2009 at 2:49 pm

“We conclude that a reasonable police officer, considering the totality of the circumstances, would reasonably suspect criminal activity might be afoot upon viewing someone on a bicycle, with an ax, at 3 in the morning. … This is so even though no recent ‘ax crime’ had been reported.”

Man, that line made me chuckle this morning.

4. TOR on February 27, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Re: Lunch on T&S, thanks Marc, but apparently Quiznos Corporate is not very good about repaying individual franchises for honoring these coupons.

Citing this experience, the Quiznos stores nearest me all turned down my coupon. I guess there remains “no such thing…”

5. queuno on February 27, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Until protesters gather in front of my house and in front of my stake center, there is no protest.

The internet/satellite feed won’t show any protest, I’m sure, so for all intents and purposes, it won’t be a “massive” protest. It’ll be a small, localized protest specific to Temple Square.

6. Jeremiah J. on February 27, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Jimbob, I preferred these choice passages.:

“The incident did take place during the hours of darkness. Stygian darkness.”

“Nor can we ignore the long history of the ax as a weapon. No one refers to a “gun-murderer”, or “knife-murderer”, or “crowbar-murderer’…”

7. James on February 28, 2009 at 3:53 am

There’s always someone making noise of one kind or another outside Temple Square during conference. 23 years ago I was volunteering as a tour guide at Temple Square. During one of the days of conference a christian church in Arizona bussed a bunch of young adults to Salt Lake to pass out literature. A church security officer very graciously invited as many of them as he could inside the gates and with their permission took their pictures outside the doors to the south visitors center. Those pictures went into the security office files and I believe were shared with the Salt Lake PD. No one who protests or passes literature outside Temple Square during conference escapes at least a cursory looking over from some law enforcement agency.

8. gst on February 28, 2009 at 4:14 am

Yeah, thanks for that case, Adam. You got any other breaking news from 1998 for us?

9. Marc on February 28, 2009 at 10:14 am

TOR – Worked for me. Maybe your Quiznos are just stingy.

10. queuno on February 28, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Agreed, James. Protests are to be expected, and they’ve been going on forever.

But I think that there’s an assumption that the culture wars in Utah affect the whole Church. They don’t. Millions of Church members have never visited Temple Square at Conference (those millions have never visited Main Street Plaza, will never watch BYU football, or shop at The Great and Spacious City Creek Plaza). Until we start seeing the protesters on the programming in between conference sessions, large swaths of the Church couldn’t care.

Disclosure: I have visited Main Street Plaza, I’ve watched BYU football, and I assume eventually I’ll spend money at City Creek. But as a long-time cultural minority *because* of my membership in the Church, protesters don’t bother me much.

11. Adam Greenwood on March 2, 2009 at 10:53 am

GST,
    Francisco Franco is still dead.