A Year’s Supply of Goodwill

January 12, 2009 | 6 comments

The Lovely One and I do not (yet) own a hand-crank radio or an AK-47. But we’re still emergency preparedness freaks in our own way.

We get our water from a little 50-member co-op. She’s on the board. Its far more trouble than its worth, and pricey to boot. We ran the numbers on our own well; the cost of the well plus the present value of reasonable maintenance estimates was only slightly greater than the present value of our monthly payments. Plus with only a little more expense we could get solar-powered well or a well that could be hand-cranked, which would give us our own year’s supply of water.

But we didn’t drop out of the co-op. We realized that being on the board is mostly how we meet our neighbors. Knowing and getting along with your neighbors can only help in an emergency.

The Lovely One decided to organize the neighborhood to get meals to our new neighbor who just had a baby.

Another overlooked aspect of emergency preparedness: wills. You might be young, but make simple testamentary preparations now, including arrangments for the guardianship of your children.

Speaking of Goodwill, Congress has passed law that inadvertently makes it pretty hard to buy used kids’ clothes. If you don’t have your own brood of little ragamuffins, call Congress on behalf of your neighbor or your fellow saint who does.

Comment warning

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to A Year’s Supply of Goodwill

1. clark on January 12, 2009 at 5:11 pm

But how will goodwill help during the zombie apocalypse?

(Sorry – I didn’t get a chance to join in on the AK-47 thread which gets my vote as one of the best and funniest threads of the year)

[Ed.-a link to the Ak-47 thread is here]

2. Connor on January 12, 2009 at 5:12 pm

See here for an update on the used kids’ clothes issue. They’ve dodged the lead bullet for now…

3. Alison Moore Smith on January 13, 2009 at 1:19 am

Adam, I have nothing relevant to add. Just wanted to say that I think calling your wife “The Lovely One” is so stinking charming that it makes me want to kiss you. In a totally nonlovely and most platonic way, of course.

OTOH, I’ve just been assuming you’re referring to your wife. If not, please disregard the last paragraph.

4. BruceC on January 13, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Connor, that is only a partial dodge. Lots of small businesses (like my parents who make and sell baby bibs out of fabric remnants) will still get hit by this law.

Adam, great advice. I’l talk to my wife tonight.

5. danithew on January 13, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I actually wished that AK-47 comment thread had stayed open longer. It was a total blast to read through that. A ‘Nacle comment thread hadn’t made me laugh like that in a long time.

6. Adam Greenwood on January 13, 2009 at 4:19 pm

A spy for the zombies *would* want the thread to stay open longer.