Marriage University

October 30, 2008 | 11 comments

The Lovely One and I were lazing in bed and got to talking about life expectancy. Barring mishap, we figured we’d reach our 50th wedding anniversary, no problem.

50 years to perfect the marriage thing, she said.

I got an image. After a long married life the two of us had died and were floating up through clouds to heaven. A glad-handing angel came down to greet us.

Congratulations on finishing freshman orientation, he said.

You are now ready to start your first year of class.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Marriage University

1. Justin Hill on October 30, 2008 at 11:05 am

I like the thought!

2. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 30, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Indeed.

Thanks, Adam. Love this.

3. Hunter on October 30, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Actually, the thought is more sobering than comforting.

But I probably agree with the sentiment, a la Stephen Robinson’s comment that the ultimate state of “perfection,” if achieved by humans, is likely something that will only happen eons and eons from now in some far distant eternity (through the grace of Christ, of course).

4. Lincoln Cannon on October 30, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Does your lifespan estimation take into account technological trends, such as exponentially advancing information technology and its affects on health care? If, barring mishap, you’re expecting to live at least another 40 years, and if you haven’t taken into consideration the probable non-linear advances in technology over that period of time (in other words, if you’re not already older than 60), I wager (again barring mishap) you’ll have opportunity for many more years than you’ve yet anticipated to work on your marriage before death — if you die at all, in the traditional sense. Yeah, I know. It sounds crazy.

5. Adam Greenwood on October 30, 2008 at 1:05 pm

Futurism is not my faith, sirrah.

6. kevinf on October 30, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Your post title got me to recalling Martin Luther’s comment, “Marriage is the School of Love”. Where else do we get to practice total charity and unconditional love?

7. UKAnn on October 31, 2008 at 1:16 pm

We’re 40 years married – and I’m just beginning to find out what it’s all about – yeah – it’s taken me that long.

8. Lincoln Cannon on October 31, 2008 at 3:44 pm

My faith is in Christ, in whose name we are called to work to bring about human immortality and eternal life.

9. Lincoln Cannon on October 31, 2008 at 7:45 pm

By the way, Adam, do you intend your use of “sirrah” to be an insult? It confused me.

10. Adam Greenwood on November 21, 2008 at 9:38 am

I don’t see where we are called to bring about human immortality. And death is necessary for eternal life.

11. Lincoln Cannon on December 9, 2008 at 4:44 pm

We are called to take the name of Christ, who is the author of immortality and eternal life. We need not be commanded in all things, but in case we need to be commanded in this thing, Brigham mentioned that we would participate in the ordinance of the resurrection and Joseph mentioned that transfiguration is likewise an ordinance of the priesthood. 3 Nephi 28 explicitly rejects the idea that death is necessary for eternal life, and even goes so far as to label as “more blessed” those disciples that did not want to die.