Halloween treat

October 31, 2008 | 23 comments

Strangely enough, I didn’t catch the irony until just now, as my first- and sixth-graders ran outside to catch the carpool.

Johnny Boy

First grader=John McCain

Abdul

Sixth grader=jihadist Afghani

23 Responses to Halloween treat

1. Teancum on October 31, 2008 at 11:23 am

Gee, Kathryn, how can you tell the difference between a jihadist and an Afghani?

2. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 31, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Gee, Teancum, that’s easy. The Afghani isn’t carrying an AK-47. (Which is what the sixth-grader wanted to carry. An air-soft version, of course.)

Hey, I talked him out of going in blackface as Obama. (Meaning, I utterly forbade him.) This was no small victory.

Plus, I learned how to wrap a turban.

3. Kylie Turley on October 31, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Does your school let you bring fake weapons? Doesn’t happen here!

4. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 31, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Nope. But a boy can dream.

5. Steve Evans on October 31, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Wow, two very horrifying costumes, for two differently horrifying reasons.

6. Teancum on October 31, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Hmmm. I get why the McCain costume might be horrifying. And, I get why a jihadist costume might be be horrifying. But why is an Afghani costume horrifying?

7. Morianton on October 31, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Teancum,

Maybe spend more time thinking about why a jihadist costume *might* be horrifying and you’ll figure it out. I’ll give you a hint: jihadist and Afghani are not interchangeable.

8. MCQ on October 31, 2008 at 3:33 pm

“jihadist and Afghani are not interchangeable.”

I think that’s exactly what Teancum was saying. And he’s right, there’s nothing horrifying about an Afghani costume, unless he’s carrying the latest harvest from his poppy fields.

9. Morianton on October 31, 2008 at 3:50 pm

MCQ — I guess then I just don’t get the irony about McCain and an Afghani.

10. MCQ on October 31, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I’m with you there.

11. Teancum on October 31, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Make that three.

12. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 31, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Apparently I’m the only one who’s heard the repeated slams against McCain because of his apathetic policy re Afghanistan.

Oh, well. It was funny to me.

13. Morianton on October 31, 2008 at 5:14 pm

I guess the jihadist cross-out just threw me off. I didn’t realize they were complex costumes that alluded to a foreign policy critique.

14. Tom Rod on October 31, 2008 at 6:31 pm

Wow. 12 Grader go as a check mark on prop 8? Or maybe as the Fonz? This is an interesting discussion. Today I went to work as an engineer. My son is a big winnie the pooh (moms have all the fun when the kids are under 4, I reckon).

15. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 31, 2008 at 7:19 pm

10th grader=some Manga character whose name I can’t spell.

Morianton, it wasn’t planned–that’s why it was so funny. And if 6th-grader could’ve talked me into his jihadist plan, it would’ve been even funnier.

Wondering what you and Teancum are wearing tonight. Let’s see . . . Morianton . . . a wife-beater undershirt? No, wait, that was your maidservant.

Teancum . . . other than the javelin, I’m at a loss.

16. Steve Evans on October 31, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Kathy, a cord (bungee?) for going from place to place!

17. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 31, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Ah, yes. Excellent, Mr. Evans!

If we ask nicely, perhaps T. will demonstrate just how he killed M.

18. Teancum on October 31, 2008 at 10:55 pm

I now understand KLS’ ironic moment. I still don’t see why Steve thinks Afghanis are horrifying. And Morianton’s comment # 7 completely evades me.

19. Teancum on October 31, 2008 at 10:56 pm

Cute kids, though.

20. Kathryn Lynard Soper on October 31, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Thanks, T. I’m durn proud of that turban.

Said one neighbor to 6th grader: “Are you Osama, or Obama?”

Given that fact that I was wearing a Tinky Winky suit, I had a hard time producing a truly convincing glare.

21. mmiles on November 1, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Kathryn,
    I’m so glad you added pictures.

22. Morianton on November 1, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I guess I have totally lost my sense of humor. I blame Teancum.

23. Morianton on November 1, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I guess I have totally lost my sense of humor. I blame Teancum.