Conference this past weekend (and the lengthy list I made during it of all the ways I need to change) got me thinking about a conversation I had with a recent law school grad in our ward who was studying for the bar this summer. He’d been complaining to me about having no time and had asked me how I went about trying to balance family, work, Church, and the constraints of the billable hour. I laughed and told him I was the wrong person to ask; that I was barely managing the demands of work with a relatively easy child, an incredibly accommodating wife, and a pretty low-key Church calling. I joked that we should be asking the High Priest sitting next to us, who is a partner at a high-powered D.C. law firm who has five kids under the age of 14 and formerly served in a Bishopric, among other demanding callings. Upon overhearing this exchange, this partner turned to us and said that, in truth, there wasn’t any secret to it. You just did what you had to do and ended up doing a “worse job at everything as a result.” This quip actually strikes me as having a lot of truth to it, but as I’ve been pondering the various conference talks I heard, I’ve also decided that getting stretched like this is probably my only chance at making any headway on that list I threw together. So much for finding balance…
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- New Testament Gospel Doctrine Lesson #4Practical Apologetics: Historicity
- PP: Mary Ann, I largely disagree with your either/or stance. Middle ground most certainly...
- Mary Ann: As has been stated elsewhere, elements of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon...
- Jedediah: Aaron T. Some people will continue to believe the sun shines when it clearly...
Notes From All Over
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | Jan 23 January 23, 2015
- Catholic Archbishop Delivers Message on Religious Freedom at Brigham Young University January 23, 2015
- Reid L. Neilson Named Assistant Church Historian and Recorder January 23, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 22 January 2015 January 22, 2015
- Mormonism In the News: Getting It Right | January 22, 2015 January 22, 2015
- The Humanitarian Impulse January 21, 2015
A Worse Job At Everything…
October 8, 2008 | 25 commentsBy Marc Bohn