Conference this past weekend (and the lengthy list I made during it of all the ways I need to change) got me thinking about a conversation I had with a recent law school grad in our ward who was studying for the bar this summer. He’d been complaining to me about having no time and had asked me how I went about trying to balance family, work, Church, and the constraints of the billable hour. I laughed and told him I was the wrong person to ask; that I was barely managing the demands of work with a relatively easy child, an incredibly accommodating wife, and a pretty low-key Church calling. I joked that we should be asking the High Priest sitting next to us, who is a partner at a high-powered D.C. law firm who has five kids under the age of 14 and formerly served in a Bishopric, among other demanding callings. Upon overhearing this exchange, this partner turned to us and said that, in truth, there wasn’t any secret to it. You just did what you had to do and ended up doing a “worse job at everything as a result.” This quip actually strikes me as having a lot of truth to it, but as I’ve been pondering the various conference talks I heard, I’ve also decided that getting stretched like this is probably my only chance at making any headway on that list I threw together. So much for finding balance…
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Faithful priesthood narratives?
- James Olsen: Thank you all for the participation. Our conversation has certainly wound...
- Frank Pellett: Jax (114), I believe the supporters of OW are quite aware that ordination...
- Naismith: Except to titter at how “silly” they are. Other than that… I would appreciate it...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | 23 July 2014 July 23, 2014
- FamilySearch Volunteers Break International Indexing Record July 23, 2014
- Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer Trek July 22, 2014
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Santino Fontana Headline Pioneer Day Concerts July 20, 2014
- Groundbreaking Date Announced for Meridian Idaho Mormon Temple July 18, 2014
- Ogden Utah Temple Open House: Tickets Available 21 July July 17, 2014
A Worse Job At Everything…
October 8, 2008 | 25 commentsBy Marc Bohn