Has the Church really made an unsolicited offer to buy Facebook (see here which spun off to here)? It’s hard for me to swallow that the Church would be willing to cough up the billions needed to acquire the social-networking site, and it’s even harder for me to believe that Facebook is entertaining any such purported offer after having brushed off buyouts from some pretty big guns over the past few years and sold a 1.6% stake to Microsoft for $240 million. Assuming for the moment that this rumor has some truth to it… why would the Church even consider this? Is it really that much of a genealogical gold mine? Wouldn’t privacy advocates be pitching fits over any use of that kind of data for Church purposes? What about other faiths? I can see it now… protests against Facebook staged by Evangelical and Jewish groups who claim the Church is co-opting Facebook to stockpile names of people to baptize (once they’re dead of course).
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Church Sticks with Boys
- Joni: Around here, the ward/stake pays for Girls Camp, and the parents pay for Cub Scout...
- Pete: mithrandirolorin, “Isn’t that what the Girl Scouts are for” – very...
- jcobabe: What a marvelous change of pace from standard Bloggernacle fare! I find no spirit...
- John Lundwall: Great post. Great talk. Correct principles in our teaching culture. Good...
- rs1: I agree. I enjoyed your post very much.
- Chris Henrichsen: Let us hope this works out better than my guest stint. :)
Notes From All Over
- Interfaith Video Competition Winners Announced August 31, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites August 31, 2015 August 31, 2015
- President Uchtdorf Dedicates New Addition to Church’s Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii August 29, 2015
- Church Creates Original Video Series on Addiction Recovery August 28, 2015
- Angel Moroni Lifted to the Top of the Fort Collins Colorado Temple August 27, 2015
- Church to Go Forward with Scouting Program August 26, 2015
Hot Mormon Gossip
August 20, 2008 | 45 commentsBy Marc Bohn