Has the Church really made an unsolicited offer to buy Facebook (see here which spun off to here)? It’s hard for me to swallow that the Church would be willing to cough up the billions needed to acquire the social-networking site, and it’s even harder for me to believe that Facebook is entertaining any such purported offer after having brushed off buyouts from some pretty big guns over the past few years and sold a 1.6% stake to Microsoft for $240 million. Assuming for the moment that this rumor has some truth to it… why would the Church even consider this? Is it really that much of a genealogical gold mine? Wouldn’t privacy advocates be pitching fits over any use of that kind of data for Church purposes? What about other faiths? I can see it now… protests against Facebook staged by Evangelical and Jewish groups who claim the Church is co-opting Facebook to stockpile names of people to baptize (once they’re dead of course).
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- On Conflation; or, Throwing the Baby Out with the Bathwater in 1911
- Cameron N.: Ben S., from what I can tell, usually people stuff like Job/Jonah in one silo...
- Ben S.: That’s just the thing, thor. Before we believe it, we must figure out what...
- thor: “I never hear of a man being damned for believing too much; but they are...
Notes From All Over
- Church to Monitor BSA Policy Discussion May 21, 2015
- Church Dedicates Córdoba Argentina Temple May 17, 2015
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 13 May 2015 May 13, 2015
- BYU–Hawaii's Board of Trustees Announces New President May 12, 2015
- Church Issues Update on Health of Leaders May 8, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites May 8, 2015 May 8, 2015
Hot Mormon Gossip
August 20, 2008 | 45 commentsBy Marc Bohn