For Our Central Texas Readers . . .

August 14, 2008 | 10 comments

An Adult Religion Class will be offered this Fall in the Primary room of the Pflugerville Building on Thursdays from 8pm-9:30pm beginning on August 28th. The class will cover Psalms 1-89 and will be taught by me. The class fee is $16.25. Questions? Email me at my first name AT timesandseasons DOT org.

10 Responses to For Our Central Texas Readers . . .

1. fMhlisa on August 14, 2008 at 1:27 pm

So, when are you going to set up the distance learning video podcast? Eh? Eh?

2. Clean Cut on August 14, 2008 at 2:27 pm

I didn\’t know you lived in Texas. That makes me like you even more! :) (I\’ve really enjoyed so many of your posts–especially on your alternative theory to Joseph Smith and Polygamy awhile back). Lucky for those in the Austin area. I\’m sure it will be a great class.

3. Keith on August 14, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Are you using the manual?

4. Me on August 14, 2008 at 4:11 pm

What? You can charge for teaching religion classes on weekdays in an LDS ward building? How do I get that set up for me?

5. Shelah on August 14, 2008 at 4:50 pm

If I only lived about 100 miles closer…

6. danithew on August 14, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Julie, I don’t live anywhere near Texas but I still had a question for you. I tried emailing you at the address described above and got an error message in response.

7. Julie M. Smith on August 14, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Me, this class is technically an Adult Religion Class, part of BYU Distance Ed. (I had to sign the honor code as a BYU employee and everything!) and they collect a class fee, part of which is returned to me as an honorarium.

Back in the day when I was paid a small stipend for supervising seminary, I felt very awkward about the money aspect, but now I plow my stipend into commentaries that I otherwise couldn’t afford that I use to prepare for the class.

8. Lupita on August 15, 2008 at 12:52 am

16.25? Bargain.
    Lucky Texans. First the toast and now this? Best of luck with your new class!

9. Me on August 15, 2008 at 10:43 am

Is 5 miles distant enough to set up a BYU Distance Education class in our stake?

10. Sarah on August 15, 2008 at 10:20 pm

It’s a bit of a drive, but I have learned something from your class anyway — that there is a place in this world called “Pflugerville”. Neat.

They’re forever trying to get us to come to Institute For Grownups out here — and two years ago or so, they stopped charging fees for both the “adult” institute and college-campus institute classes in our quad-stake area. It’s sort of weird to me that you guys are charging a fee… but I also think students are more committed when they have to pay for their education, so.