Webster’s is dead, long live Google!

July 13, 2008 | 7 comments

On the sweetness of Mormon life.

No one cited a dictionary definition in the talks in sacrament meeting today. But Google got cited as an authority by the first two speakers. Apparently Google is unreliable on the uses of adversity, because the last speaker pointedly didn’t tell us about his googling.

Tags: ,

7 Responses to Webster’s is dead, long live Google!

1. Kevin Barney on July 13, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Very funny. I sometimes watch Who Wants to Be a Millionaire while I work out at the office, and when people use their phone-a-friend lifeline I like to imagine how I would craft the google search to find the answer quickly. You can tell that often the friends are using google.

2. Earl B on July 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm

You lucked out, lady in our ward gave her whole talk from the Gospel of Webster, and if she didn’t like THAT definition, she had some off brand dictionary she used for backup.

3. WillF on July 14, 2008 at 2:02 am

Kevin,
    Good point on the game shows. I often listen to Whadyknow with Michael Feldman, and part of that show is a quiz show. They occasionally scold the caller who participates in the quiz for using Google to find the answers.

4. WillF on July 14, 2008 at 2:02 am

Kevin,

5. Researcher on July 14, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I know I rarely if ever use a hard-copy dictionary anymore. Why crack a book when you can just tap the button thingie on your wireless mouse and bring up a dictionary/thesaurus widget with more information than one person could possibly use in a lifetime?

The other widgets I love are the translators, stock quotes, weather, star maps, number converters, etc. I don’t know how I would manage if we had one of those week-long power outages like in the Michigan area several years back.

6. M. E. on July 15, 2008 at 6:47 pm

I love Google and use it frequently: “define:” is my dictionary.

However, lately I’ve been frustrated by people who say “If you don’t believe me about [my belief], just Google it.” Just because Google says so doesn’t make it so. Anyone (and everyone) can publish anything (and everything), thus the Internet often offers inaccurate or lop-sided perspectives. Seems obvious enough to me, but I have a difficult time arguing against Google “truths.”

7. queuno on July 17, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Did she cite Google, or did she cite the sites that Google unearthed?