God As a Longshoreman

July 25, 2008 | 6 comments

Without meaning to, this story (you can read it, but it is better to listen to it–it’s only a minute or so long) does a better job of explaining the nature of our relationship with God than almost anything else I have encountered.

6 Responses to God As a Longshoreman

1. Randy B. on July 25, 2008 at 9:43 am

Yes! This is excellent. I heard the story on NPR this morning and told my wife this ought to be our new family motto — walk or fall.

2. M on July 25, 2008 at 10:33 am

Our new family motto: I want to be plunked.

3. Mark B. on July 25, 2008 at 11:11 am

And I thought this was gonna be about the church building in Brooklyn (my ward) that used to be the headquarters of the International Longshoreman’s Association. After they were put into receivership for corruption, they had to sell the building, and the church bought it, cleaned out the skeletons in the closets and turned it into a place of worship.

4. Researcher on July 25, 2008 at 11:44 am

“…cleaned out the skeletons in the closets…”

Wow. Would have taken some pretty serious chemicals. Or something.

I love the Story Corps stories but I’ve been too busy in the mornings recently to listen to more than a couple minutes of NPR. Thanks for pointing this one out, Julie. One of my favorite NPR pieces of all time was a story from Bailey White back in October 2001.

5. Keith on July 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I heard this the other morning on NPR. The seeming harshness of the step-father, and then his tremendous compassion and encouragement are striking. Also striking is the boy’s eventual willingness to go along.

“. . . unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.”

6. Chad S. on July 28, 2008 at 6:25 pm