Unhand Me, You Villain.

June 11, 2008 | 7 comments

On the sweetness of Mormon life

Monday night found us sitting in the living room of one of our ward’s set of grandparents, along with several widows, a young couple that recently got baptized, and the choir director. We were watching a melodrama put on by three granddaughters, ages 8 – 11. “This is a good story,” my four-year old breathed. We applauded each act and meant it.

Over refreshments we young couples plotted real estate, trying to find a way the other couple could stay in the ward without moving to the meth mesa.

7 Responses to Unhand Me, You Villain.

1. Ardis Parshall on June 11, 2008 at 10:56 am

Home-grown entertainment and appreciation for it — the best there is! Good luck with the plot to keep the other couple in your ward.

2. Naismith on June 11, 2008 at 12:00 pm

What is a “meth mesa”?

Since we recently had an issue with marijuana plants being grown in the woods behind our chapel, you can imagine what came to my mind.

3. Adam Greenwood on June 11, 2008 at 12:31 pm

A meth mesa would be a mesa distinguished by the manufacture, commerce, or consumption of meth.

4. Raymond Takashi Swenson on June 11, 2008 at 1:43 pm

I had marijuana plants growing on the hill behind my house in Omaha. The police had no interest in it. I told my boss, who was from North Dakota, and his comment was “Doves like to eat marijuana seeds. That’s a good place to hunt for doves.”

Seriously, though, if someone is growing marijuana commercially, that kind of entrepreneur is notorious for using violent means to guard their crops from competitors and trespassers (even when they don’t own the land). The national forest around Marysville and Yuba City, California, in the vicinity of Beale Air Force Base, was notorious for such plots, such that law enforcement did not venture into the woods except in large groups. Nowadays they use remotely piloted vehicles to locate the plants. This is not just a drug issue, it is a public safety issue, and I would have all of your ward members contact the chief of police to demand that they be cleaned out.

5. Raymond Takashi Swenson on June 11, 2008 at 4:33 pm

On the original point about amateur drama, I recall seeing photos of my grandfather in costume performing in melodramas put on for the Scandinavian wards in Utah County. He also played the violin in a small orchestra. I think one picture showed them doing a minstrel show in blackface (something we would of course not participate in today, but I think may have had the same flavor of role playing as wearing vaguely oriental costumes for a performance of The Mikado). Growing up, I had always known him as a stick-in-the-mud bookkeeper for Utah Power & Light Company. It was only later that I learned he had started out as the company’s sole employee west of the Jordan River, in which capacity he not only collected the electric bills but also climbed the poles to do line maintenance and repaired home appliances. He was a much more interesting, even intrepid character than I had given him credit for.

The biographies of many Jewish entertainers have noted how much the amateur family theatricals they performed for their aunts and grandmothers were the foundation for their careers as standup comics, actors, singers and musicians. The recent surge in notoriety of Mormon singers and dancers (sometimes both at once) is a tribute to the encouragement given in families to develop these talents. Success in the home should include the opportunity to express one’s talents–and have fun–at home.

6. Eric Boysen on June 12, 2008 at 8:34 am

Where is Meth Mesa? West side?

7. StillConfused on June 12, 2008 at 10:53 am