Notes from all over.

June 27, 2008 | 17 comments

Here’s your chance to discuss the week’s links.

(I’ll insert the links later as I get the chance).

“I’m choosing to join the largest church on earth with a concept of a Goddess, an admonishment from God about meat consumption, an early pracitice of magick and natural living and a universal doctrine of salvation.”
26th Jun 2008 @ 3 PM

“The LDS church has already reinvented marriage to conform to our ideas of morality and modern culture. The battle now isn’t over whether ‘traditional marriage’ will survive but rather over who gets to have their redefinition accepted by society.”
26th Jun 2008 @ 3 PM

The latest move in the Partido Popular’s fiendish plan to discredit Spanish liberalism while improving the quality of the electorate
26th Jun 2008 @ 2 PM

Male homosexuality comparable to sickle cell anemia?
26th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditional lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.”
26th Jun 2008 @ 10 AM

Don’t drink it… just smell it.
26th Jun 2008 @ 10 AM

LDS Sen. Gordon Smith touts Obama praise in latest ad
25th Jun 2008 @ 5 PM

No noose for Kennedy, P., alas
25th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

April 16, 1178 B.C., not a good day to ogle Penelope
25th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

AP picks up on Sunday’s First Presidency letter on SSM
25th Jun 2008 @ 11 AM

“OK, I’ve made my decision. I’m playing dumb. (Issue? What issue? Huh?) After this post, I am not talking about it and you can’t make me.”
24th Jun 2008 @ 8 PM

Can you live both inside and outside scripture?
24th Jun 2008 @ 7 PM

Is the proposed Cal amendment even legal?
24th Jun 2008 @ 2 PM

Early church attitudes towards Japan and Japanese people.
24th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Church views on SSM.
24th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Howto: Be a pagan Mormon.
24th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

The SSM wars at T&S get cited by the Columbia Law Review!
23rd Jun 2008 @ 5 PM See note 223 on page 568…

A train story.
23rd Jun 2008 @ 2 PM

Primary program, 1918.
23rd Jun 2008 @ 1 PM _

Early Mormon attitudes towards “d__d Chinamen.”
23rd Jun 2008 @ 1 PM _blank

No, they don’t. (Unless they involve Mogget and TT.)
23rd Jun 2008 @ 1 PM

Documentary about an atypical Mormon family/band
22nd Jun 2008 @ 1 AM
“Where is the place of music and its godly nature when the lights are flashing and the people are drunk and screaming?”

It’s a girl.
22nd Jun 2008 @ 12 AM

Sierra Club gives Church “Faith in Action” award
21st Jun 2008 @ 1 PM

BCC links to new FP letter re SSM.
21st Jun 2008 @ 9 AM Just in time for fireworks season!

Update:

Christian schoolteacher faces discipine for burning crosses onto arms of students. This is not a joke.
20th Jun 2008 @ 8 PM

Bruised bananas, licked cupcakes, and other horrible ways to teach about chastity.
Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

“The high school has done perhaps too good a job of embracing young mothers.”
Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Science fiction explained.
Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

LDS Senator Gordon Smith: “The fact of the matter is, I’ve been a leader in the Senate in the fight for equality for gays and lesbians.”
Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 11 AM

The death of generosity
Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 7 AM

Tags: ,

17 Responses to Notes from all over.

1. Adam Greenwood on June 27, 2008 at 12:15 pm

The Penelope link sounds too pat to be true, especially since I have a hard time seeing Homer obsessing over the astronomical details, but even so . . .

2. Researcher on June 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Congratulations to Nate and T&S on the citation in the law journal.

Congratulations to Ayla. I hope she finds a supportive community within the church.

Congratulations to Ardis for some good posts and also Heidi at Juvenile Instructor for hers.

Congratulations to the Spanish government for expanding their voting population.

Congratulations to the authors and readership of T&S for some interesting moments this week.

(Did I miss anyone?)

3. Patricia Karamesines on June 27, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Darn. Looks like Dave’s sarcasm link didn’t make the cut. I’ve been drumming my fingers all week waiting to comment on that one.

Oh well. It’s probably time better spent in the garden, anyway.

4. Researcher on June 27, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Adam, since you brought up the subject of eclipses and you seem to have some interest in space, how does one check whether there was an eclipse of the sun on any given date? For example, how would you find out whether there was a full or partial eclipse of the sun over eastern Arizona on April 13, 1929? I tried to follow the links within the Penelope story, but couldn’t figure it out.

5. Adam Greenwood on June 27, 2008 at 12:50 pm

To be fair, the government didn’t actually give chimps the right to vote. I exaggerated.

6. Frank McIntyre on June 27, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Patricia,

When was Dave’s sarcasm link?

7. Patricia Karamesines on June 27, 2008 at 1:00 pm

I’m thinking it was last Friday. I don’t think it showed up on last Friday’s “Notes from all over.” Could be I’m mixing things up.

The article posed that sarcasm has remained in the human toolbox for survival for good reason, etc.

8. Adam Greenwood on June 27, 2008 at 1:01 pm

No solar eclipse occurred on that date, Researcher, as best I can tell. Eclipses only happen during the new moon.
    The nearest eclipse seems to have happened on May 9 and occurred over the western Pacific and the Indian oceans.

It looks like no eclipse happened in Arizona that whole decade:

9. Researcher on June 27, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Thanks, Adam. That was the second time I had tried to look up that information (and failed). It was a major anecdote in someone’s story of their childhood and it’s good to know that the person’s memory was not impeccable.

Of course, as we learned after Mario Cappechi received the Nobel prize this past year and some reporters found out that his childhood memories were not strictly accurate, it doesn’t mean that the real story isn’t just as amazing or even more so than the remembered scenes of childhood.

And do I understand correctly that you’re retracting your comments about recent events in Spain? What happened? Did the Spanish embassy contact T&S and protest? Or did the Spanish Bureau of Tourism slip you some cash?

(How long can I keep this up without the use of a smiley!?!)

10. Kaimi Wenger on June 27, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Yeah, right, Patricia. Suuuure. :P

“Sarcasm: an evolutionarily adaptive communication strategy. You’re not just funny, you’re devious.”

11. Kaimi Wenger on June 27, 2008 at 1:36 pm

It looks like Dave’s was one of a few that fell between the cracks. The others are:

20th Jun 2008 @ 8 PM

Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

“The high school has done perhaps too good a job of embracing young mothers.”
    Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Science fiction explained.
    Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 12 PM

Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 11 AM

The death of generosity
    Added: 20th Jun 2008 @ 7 AM

12. Adam Greenwood on June 27, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I missed last Friday altogether. Shoot. I’ll update.

13. Researcher on June 27, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Shoot.

Is that a command, a suggestion, or a curse?

14. Ardis Parshall on June 27, 2008 at 1:50 pm

It’s a menu choice (“Eats Shoots and Leaves”).

15. Patricia Karamesines on June 27, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Heh heh, thanks, KW (I think). I googled “sarcasm toolbox survival” to see if I had dreamed the article and found it myself (sigh of relief: article not my nightmare) but hesitated to bring it up again because … well, because.

This article is the only one Google can sift out using those three words together, though the article itself has made rounds, turning up on various blogs and websites, including Richard Dawkins’ official website. That Dawkins’ — or one of his acolyte’s — interest intersected with T&S’s is one of those sleights of six degrees of separation.

Etymology of “sarcasm”: Well, think of the word “sarcophagus.” “Sarcasmus: “to tear flesh, gnash the teeth, speak bitterly” (OED).

Sarcasm is irony that’s gone slumming.

Some scholars think that irony is a comparatively recent phenomenon, not an ancient one, as the author’s “two ancient dudes were running from an ancient lion, and the first ancient dude says to the second ancient dude” joke quips (lame, lame, lame — heard better jokes from my 11-year-old). Irony has its celestial spheres; sarcasm hangs with cynicism in the telestial cellar, where they have bricked themselves — and each other — up. Assuming sarcasm has survived in the human social toolbox because it provides an evolutionary advantage is pub logic. That is, during happy hour at the local pub, I can see such reasoning shining at the heights of the intellectual discourse.

People have patience with sarcasm only when they have the luxury to indulge it. Otherwise, as one of the commenters on Dawkins’ site remarks, sarcasm is evolutionarily disadvantageous, since when matters are tight people tend to “kill the smart***es.”

16. Jessawhy on June 28, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Some of these headlines I saw during the week, but not all of them.
    How do I get the links?

17. Jessawhy on June 28, 2008 at 4:10 pm

ok, i see them in the side bar. sorry.