Flour Gravy, Mother’s Day.

May 12, 2008 | 9 comments

On the sweetness of Mormon life:

Our Mother’s Days aren’t holidays for women who are mothers. They are holiday for sons and daughters and husbands, who need a socially acceptable day for sentiment.

A nine-year old cub scout sang a solo. The burliest guy in the ward, giving the final talk, admitted he was a mamma’s boy. Bishop sua sponte got up to tell us that his (deceased) mother refusing to go to church when she wasn’t well, because she didn’t want people to ask “how are you.” This was peculiar, he said. The unspoken point was you can love someone to the point of cherishing their peculiarities. Bishop also sua sponte asked his wife to come up to close the meeting with a few words. When she got close he tried to say what he wanted her to talk about but he started to leak tears instead and ended up choking out a few things about her. She waited, then told us that the four stages of motherhood were being the world to your children, being an embarrassment, praying all the time for your children, and marrying them off. God had given her relatively decent kids, she said, and if we knew otherwise please not to let her know.

9 Responses to Flour Gravy, Mother’s Day.

1. Julie M. Smith on May 12, 2008 at 11:56 am

“Next year my mother and my wife will not ask for a meal that includes flour gravy.”

LOL!

All I asked of my husband was dark chocolate dipped fruit. (OK, and lunch at the Persian place the day before. Also a nap after church.) He delivered perfectly, even cutting the stems out of the strawberries.

2. queuno on May 12, 2008 at 12:00 pm

We had a Sunday program about enriching your marriage. Both speakers subversively spent the first 5 minutes of each of their talks talking about Mother’s Day, however.

3. Jeremy on May 12, 2008 at 12:29 pm

We had four graduating high school seniors talk about seminary.

Sigh.

4. mpb on May 12, 2008 at 12:44 pm

someone in our ward read this list (http://www.anvari.org/fun/Gender/Top_10_Things_Only_Women_Understand.html), from the pulpit, which I was able to google when I got home.

also sigh.

5. Sue on May 12, 2008 at 1:09 pm

I have no idea what happened at church, because my husband took the kids and I stayed home for three blissful hours alone. Happy Mother’s Day indeed.

6. Jonathan Green on May 12, 2008 at 1:34 pm

“Sua sponte” means “voluntarily,” or something like that?

I hear our sacrament meeting talk on motherhood was good. It mentioned Deborah and Abigail. My contribution was to remove a few children to the hallway so that other people could hear it.

7. Ray on May 12, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Our Bishopric wished everyone who has a mother Happy Mother’s Day, then we had a meeting focused on becoming more Christ-like. The children sang “Mother, I Love You” as the intermediate hymn. It was a fabulous meeting.

8. jjohnsen on May 12, 2008 at 3:51 pm

# 2, 3 and 4 make me happy my wife wanted to skip church for Mother’s Day.

9. Jonovitch on May 12, 2008 at 5:34 pm

I entertained the kids Saturday so my wife could write her talk. Then I put the kids to bed, freeing her to go to her monthly Girls’ Night with her friends. That meant no late-night shopping for breakfast ingredients and flowers, so she got neither.

Sunday morning I fed the kids while she got herself ready for church. I also edited her talk some more, writing one doctrinally and rhetorically fantastic paragraph that she needed to make clear what she was trying to get across. (I later realized, as she was speaking, that that one paragraph sounded just like me, not her. I wondered if anyone else knew. I mentioned it to my wife after the meeting, and she responded by immediately saying: “I know!” We laughed, hoping nobody else picked up on it.)

My wife tried to call her mom in Germany a few times, to no avail, because the whole family was on the patio out back, lazily grilling and enjoying the springtime. She eventually got them to pick up around 9 p.m. their time.

I tried calling my mom, to no avail, probably because she was chatting and munching with the rest of the relatives at a party at her mom’s (my grandma’s) house in Salt Lake. So I watched the latest “Home Movie” that my dad just created with his Mac.

An unconventional, but satisfying, Mother’s Day.

Jon

P.S. Happy Countdown to Father’s Day!