Albuquerque Phoenix Bloggersnacker

May 22, 2008 | 8 comments

If there is anyone in the Albuquerque area who reads this, you are invited to watch the Phoenix touch-down over at our place at 5 pm this Sunday. If all goes well, this would be the first successful Mars arctic landing and would potentially confirm the presence of water ice in the Martian north. For details, reply to this post and include a working email address in the email box of the commenting form. Bloggern who live elsewhere can watch the live feed here.

8 Responses to Albuquerque Phoenix Bloggersnacker

1. John Mansfield on May 22, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Would that I were in New Mexico. Yesterday with the cub scouts, I showed them some drawings of the interplanetary backhoe digging down to the ice. Then teams of two assembled sticks, string, and plastic forks to scoop up samples of crushed ice that I had poured on on the ground. As they worked, I told them of the failures of Mars Observer (contact lost three days before landing, cause unknown) and the 1999 Mars Polar Lander (crashed during landing due to a sensor malfunction and premature rocket shutdown).

As we finished up I asked, “Do you think Phoenix will successfully complete its mission Sunday?” Caleb answered with full enthusiasm “We can pray for it to, and we can pray for my cousin on his mission.”

2. TrevorM on May 22, 2008 at 4:47 pm

Is this Adam Greenwood the Adam Greenwood from Chelwood ward?

3. Adam Greenwood on May 22, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Formerly from Chelwood Ward. The A. Greenwood who currently lives in Chelwood Ward is not an Adam.

4. Edje on May 22, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Sounds like a good time to be had. I’m sorry I can’t make it.

5. Ben on May 23, 2008 at 2:02 am

I’m from Los Lunas, but currently live in Provo, and am right now in Sacramento, so sadly I cant make it.

6. Derek on May 23, 2008 at 1:13 pm

Adam,
    I live in Albuquerque (Bear Canyon Ward, Albuquerque Stake) and would love to come (my 9-year old is pretty excited about the landing)…but I am flying in from Utah on Sunday evening. Thanks for the invite and it would be great to try again sometime.

7. TrevorM on May 23, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Well I served in your mission and ate with either you family or a relative….small LDS world.

8. Rex on June 28, 2008 at 11:03 am

Adam:

Can you direct me to where I can learn how many stakes are in Albuquerque?

Thanks