Church Pranks

April 1, 2008 | 26 comments

Cub Scout Pack meeting on April Fools day means we leaders will be having a little fun. All in good taste of course. The fake dog-doo will be moderate and restrained.

My job is to make “raw eggs” refreshments out of pudding and apricot halves. I do it pretty well, if I say so myself. The apricot halves in particular are just wrinkled enough that they look like a raw egg yolk that has set out until its formed a film. If experience is any guide, at least a third of the boys will refuse my raw eggs.

What church-related pranks have you seen? The only other ones I can think of all took place in the Boy Scouts. You’d think a church where members can seriously propose moving Easter because the date is inconvenient would be a church where members would put whoopee cushions in the pews. But they don’t, not in my experience, which is one more thing to be grateful for.

And it goes without saying that every April Fools prank on the bloggernacle has been lamer than lame.

26 Responses to Church Pranks

1. ECS on April 1, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Your “raw eggs” prank beats “Fascinating Helpmeets”? I beg to differ.

BCC’s April Fool’s LOTR’s prank of a few years past was amusing.

2. Ronan on April 1, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Sprite in the sacrament cups.

3. Adam Greenwood on April 1, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Your “raw eggs” prank beats “Fascinating Helpmeets”?

Just plain raw eggs beats it. No prank necessary.

4. Adam Greenwood on April 1, 2008 at 1:41 pm
  5. Jonathan Green on April 1, 2008 at 1:43 pm

I kind of liked the M*-dressed-up-as-T&S stunt from a few years back. That was good.

6. BHodges on April 1, 2008 at 1:58 pm

April Fools Day seems to have devolved into “April Lies Day,” where the lazy “prankster” is nothing more than a liar. A prank involves calling someone and saying “I got in an accident” or something like that. Or like I told my wife this morning “I forgot to set the alarm, we’re late!” How awful. These pranks don’t deserve to be called pranks.

7. Ben H on April 1, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Gmail has a pretty decent one up : )

8. Kaimi Wenger on April 1, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Perhaps I’m a bit biased, but I liked our interview with DKL. http://www.timesandseasons.org/?p=2958

And Fascinating Helpmeets is just awesome. :)

9. Jack on April 1, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I was inspired by this thread.. and just wrote & sent the below email out to the parents of my Teachers\’s Quorum:

\”There is a change in plans for Wednesday, the Teachers will not be participating in the joint activity on learning how to dance.

Facilities Management (the guys who are supposed to take care of our buildings) has asked if we can help with a service project at the Stake Center. Due to an ongoing water leak a portion of the stonework on the steeple has been damaged pretty severely, and an inspection by Bloomfiled Township Building Department has led to an order to imediately remove to topmost iron structure from the steeple. FM has asked for assistance, and the Bishop gave the assignment to the Teachers Quorum.

The only steeplejack (guy who repairs & paints stuff up high) in the Metro Detroit area has been retained, but he is recovering from back surgery, and can not climb right now. He has agreed to come out and train the boys, and let them use his equipment, and to supervise the operation from the ground. He estimates the piece to be removed is about 175 pounds, so to safely pull it off, and lower it down it will take 4 boys on the steeple (unfortunately the equipment is safety rated to only 220 pounds, so I will be supervising from the ground as well). The Bishop said under the steeplejack\’s supervision he believes this can be done safely, and save the Church about $2,500, which is what it would cost to fly a steeplack & assistant out from Salt Lake on short notice.

If all goes well the project should only take 45 minutes, but we want to do it in daylight so please have your boy there on time. We have all the safety rigging, but are short 2 construction helmets. If you happen to have one please bring it, if not we will purchase one. Each boy should bring workgloves. As a bonus, with what the boys will be learning, and doing they will be able to get their rock climbing merit badge. If we get done early enough, I will take the boys to TCBY for a Wednesday night dollar frozen yogurt waffle cone.

This will be a great service to the Stake, and I think the boys will have fun doing it.\”

10. ned on April 1, 2008 at 5:19 pm

A few years ago, an April Fool e-mail went round our stake high council and bishops announcing the formation of a new stake in our area. It gave details of how the stake was to be divided, boundaries and so forth.
    It was sent from a fake hotmail address using the name of the stake exec sec. (he was most displeased!!!!)
    We dissolved in silent paroxysms of laughter when we read some of the perplexed comments and questions from the high councilmen.
    The announcement traveled for miles and even made it as far as our country’s mission reunion in old SLC at April conference time.

11. Jonovitch on April 1, 2008 at 5:25 pm

Jack (9), that is awesome. I’m afraid it’s too late in the day for me to pull something similar with my Scouts’ parents. Or maybe not…

Jon

12. Richard Sopp on April 1, 2008 at 5:32 pm

While serving in the Canada Montreal Mission, one of the Elders in my group played a prank on my companion by producing a phony letter from President Kimball transferring him to the Florida Miami Mission to teach the French Canadians who vacation there. What was interesting (and poignaint) was that my companion was from Alberta and Quebec was the last place on earth he wanted to go (his family teased him about it before he got his call). When my companion received the phony letter, he became very emotional at the thought of leaving the French Canadians until he looked up and saw the other missionaries rolling with laughter. It showed how much he had grown to love the people despite his pre-mission prejudices.

13. Adam Greenwood on April 1, 2008 at 6:18 pm

If we include mission pranks, we’ll be here all day.

Though while we’re on the subj., let me answer a question I often get asked:

Greenwood, do you know from personal experience that totally abusing your new greenie’s trust for laughs can sour your whole companionship?

Yes, yes I do.

14. Deb on April 1, 2008 at 6:35 pm

For other food-prank ideas, look at familyfun.com, search under April Fools. I have a file of them! Kids get a great kick out of things that are not as they seem.

April Fools Day has been calm here…just the way I like it. There were too many years when I was out of my skin repeatedly! I tended my miniature granddaughter today, and she was full of family stories that her daddy had told her, about pranks my kids inflicted on the family and each other. Ice cube tray on a string that flew across the room when the freezer was opened, car up on bricks (started just fine, but did not go) , corn flakes and powdered sugar in the beds, blue koolaid and bullion cubes in the shower head, the kitchen sprayer taped so it would spray whomever turned on the faucet, plastic wrap on the toilet seats… it was fun, to hear her giggling and realize the stories go on. Except for “Grandma, a SPIDER, right there, come quick! Aprils Fools!” she behaved nicely today.

Now that I think about it…with one kid married, another at college, the other on a mission… it’s maybe TOO quiet today. The missionary is the most creative prankster, by far. Wonder if his district will still love him?

15. Jonovitch on April 1, 2008 at 7:11 pm

All right, Adam (13), you opened the door.

I once broke into the Sisters’ apartment to leave a plate of cookies and a thank you card. Not much of a prank, but they totally freaked out (even though I didn’t even go near the bathroom or bedroom), so the result was the same.

Even better, a companion of mine got to a Sister’s package from home before it reached the unwitting Sister. He swapped out her favorite comforter/quilt for a ratty pee-stained blanket from the local Red Cross that we volunteered at. She was in tears over the “verpinkelte Decke” in the box and even called the mission president. I still laugh about that one.

Jon

16. Kaimi Wenger on April 1, 2008 at 7:38 pm

I thought the list of church pranks here was pretty funny.

17. East Coast on April 1, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Wonderful link, Kaimi. One great idea after another….

18. nita on April 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Wow, what a fun idea to pretend to create a new stake! Did the culprits ever get in trouble? (hope all had a good sense of humor but I can imagine some must have felt distraught)

A coworker today shared that one of her neighbors played a mean trick on their children: they woke their kids up to get ready for school, told them it was time to go, etc. Then when the kids were ready, they opened the blinds and it was still dark- IT WAS 3AM!!!! And the parents told the kids, “April Fool’s”.

I think that might be fun to do for seminary (places where it is early morning). Anyway, I don’t have kids, am single and am definitely not a morning person. So even if I had kids and wished to play that joke on them, I would probably oversleep and not complete the prank!

What might be fun would be to pretend your ward has been asked to host 3 sets of missionaries for a short time and find those willing to take them in?

Hi- I also saw the raw egg (ie really apricots!) in a Women’s World magazine recently. In that one, they also use a type of curled gummy candy to resemble bacon! SO you get eggs and bacon!

The article had some other good things: you can make a pretend hotdog w/a twinkie: split it lengthwise. Then add 4 “midgee” tootsie rolls. Then add a 5 inch piece of string licorice (to look like ketchup). Then add chopped green gumdrops to resemble relish. We made this w/activity days tonight, fun to do! Our bishop dubbed them “Twinkie Dogs!”

The article also had realistic bread to go w/the “fried egg”– they suggest using pound cake (cook it on skillet for short time).

THe best trick I ever heard of was played on my mission comp! She went to a dinner at someone’s home and said she thought the family was crazy when they started eating the flower pot for dessert! (A big pot w/icecream, ground oreo crumbs to look like dirt, and plastic or satin flowers. If you use real ones, wrap stem in foil) Put masking tape at bottom of a real planter so no drips through the container!)

Anyway, I’m sure most have seen that idea done, but it is fun to see and can look quite realistic!

Sorry for rambling, it was a long and crazy day.

19. nita on April 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm

#9 Jack- what was the response of the parents to that joke about repairing the steeple?? Did people actually arrive as requested? Did folks coplain about the potential dangers??

20. nita on April 1, 2008 at 11:09 pm

OOPS- I just went to family fun. com and saw that the trick I alluded to in #18 (about the early time rising ) is f rom Family Fun. COM. My coworker was sharing stories and so I realize I got mixed up w/what she was telling me she did, her neighbors did and what was from Family Fun.

(the one her neighbors did do is kind of bad and childish, she called them for something this AM. Then the neighbors told her no school due to school being on fire. To me that is like the boy who called wolf and is a wrong thing to do.)

Anyway, sorry for the goof.

21. Ryan on April 2, 2008 at 2:14 am

We started a joke today about the church and blogging but it started spreading so fast that we had to alter it and then pull it. Mostly because we are pansies and would like to avoid having to explain why we intentionally misquoted the GA’s to our stake presidents. It was fun while it lasted though…

You can see the story on my blog

22. Adam Greenwood on April 3, 2008 at 1:16 am

Rickrolling on T&S. Where do people get off saying its jumped the shark.

23. bfwebster on April 3, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Back when I was a teacher (we’re talking late 1960s), one of my fellow teachers took a sacrament cup, filled it part way with water, and stuck it in the freezer in the ward kitchen. The following week, while the sacrament was being prepared, he got it out of the freezer and quietly snuck it into one of the sacrament trays.

I only found out about it after church, but even then was bracing myself for lightning to come from heaven. ..bruce..

24. quandmeme on April 3, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Everybody see the fake CNN story about Snoop Dog’s baptism?

25. Ana on April 3, 2008 at 5:43 pm

My husband once witnessed chocolate covered moose nuggets at a ward picnic. (That\’s moose poop.) Just the right size to look like chocolate covered almonds. He said people who ate them fast seemed fine, although they made some funny faces. It was the curious types who bit their treats in half who really freaked out.

And by the way, this confection was not my husband\’s brainchild. It came from some other member of the teacher\’s quorum.

26. Virgil Zetterlind on April 6, 2008 at 8:41 am

While serving in the Cape Verde Islands off West Africa, we had sufficient ‘back story’ to convince four Sister missionaries that they needed to temporarily leave the islands for the mainland due to the expected arrival of an ex-boyfriend of one of the sisters.

As the responsible missionary for all airline travel within the islands, I was able to get the local airline to make real reservations in the Sister’s names, print them (all the missionaries knew what these little reservation strips looked like), and then cancel the reservations. The reservation staff struggled to understand what we were attempting to do, but they helped us out (we were their single biggest account).

With reservations in hand, we sent over our most straight-faced zone leader to break the news and start them packing. In the end, we were only partly successful as the 2 American Sisters were rightly suspicious given the date, but we had them going for a while. The Sisters attempted to pay us back with sugarless cookies later that week.

In a similar vein, we had good suspicion that certain Elders were trying to get a heads up on transfers by stopping at the airline office and having them look up names on flight reservations (we usually had to make reservations at least 2 weeks in advance to ensure seats).

Since we could change names on reservations up to the day of ticket purchase (usually just a day or 2 in advance of the flight when transfers were already announced), I started using the suspected culprits names on all initial reservations and then changing them out for the ‘real’ names at the last minute. A few Elders didn’t seem very happy with me prior to the next transfer, but they couldn’t say anything without admitting having tried to game the system. It seemed to get the message across without needing to be confrontational.

Those were fun days.