Christ is Lord; Audits are Inspired

March 9, 2008 | 7 comments

On the sweetness of Mormon life–

A convert girl speaks on Christ’s atonement. Just weeks ago that she came back to Church. She has the fire. She has us laughing and crying and rapt.

The finance clerk also speaks, explaining ward and Church finances and procedures. He concludes with a testimony of the audits he gets. The Spirit is present then, he says.

Be Still My Soul we sing, our closing hymn.

7 Responses to Christ is Lord; Audits are Inspired

1. Jack on March 9, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Well now, that’s eclectic. But then, all things are spiritual to God, aren’t they?

2. Ray on March 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm

Only in the Mormon Church! I would have liked to have been in attendance.

(I absolutely love that hymn.)

3. Ian H. on March 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm

I’m kind of a lurker to this site, but, seeing as how being an assistant clerk is my calling, I feel like I have a good enough reason to comment.

The weekly tithes and offerings that we go through are perhaps not the most inspiring things in the world, but, having had my first audit just a week or so ago, I can testify to you that it is a spiritual thing; the spirit was as strong in that audit as it ever was at any fireside. Though nothing more than a review of figures and dates, it truly helped me realize the efficiency of the Lord’s church as it stands on the earth today. People may criticize us for our business-like appearance, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have the spirit as we count money, lend books out from the library, or haul things around in the Bishop’s storehouse.

It is amazing how far-reaching the spirit is when we are fulfilling those commandments which we have been given, whether it be day-to-day chores or finding it within ourselves to conquer inactivity!

Thank you for your post, Adam.

4. Clark on March 10, 2008 at 12:46 am

More proof that to have the economy of God demands that the Holy Ghost is an accountant.

5. jimbob on March 10, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I rarely could get my numbers to add up, which is probably why I can’t recall having an audit be a spiritual experience. In fact, most of the audits I’ve been through rank right up there with my latest root canal. It’s also probably why I was released from that calling earlier than I expected.

6. Kevinf on March 10, 2008 at 3:47 pm

I’m responsible for the audits in our stake, so this story makes me feel a little better about subjecting engineers, software developers, medical personnel and other non-accounting professionals to the scrutiny of one of our auditors, a professional CPA with a rather humorless disposition.

But on the other hand, I once had a pretty profound experience doing the weekly chapel cleaning one Saturday, and was surprised to find myself at the pulpit the next Fast Sunday, testifying about the power of that experience, that came to me with a vacuum cleaner in one hand, and a bottle of windex in the other.

Sweet moments indeed, Adam.

7. Brian Duffin on March 10, 2008 at 4:55 pm

Having been a finance clerk, I can say with conviction that the finances of the Church are directed and inspired by the Lord. Of course, between the two attorneys who were counselors to the Bishop, I preferred working with the tax attorney vs. the personal injury attorney; the tax attorney and I ALWAYS balanced on the first count! With the PI attorney, it took several tries before we balanced. He once remarked, “I can only understand percentages of 1/3.”