Get Some Sleep

October 23, 2007 | 17 comments

Anonymity isn’t the only reason the internet is quarrelsome.

Anonymity matters, of course. Even on an onymous site like this one we’re still effectively anonymous and we act like it (I met an onymous commenter over the weekend who said I usually fight with him on the blog; meeting him in person, I felt bad that I had).

But anonymity isn’t the only reason. Losing sleep makes you grumpy. Does Bloggernacle and internet participation correlate with loss of sleep? If my own experience is any guide, it does.

If we weren’t an international site, we would probably do ourselves and you a favor if we instituted a curfew. Instead we’ll have to rely on individual self-control. That weak reed.

P.S. The scriptures send mixed messages about sleeping. See here and here.

P.P.S. I’ve got a post that will appear late tonight but I swear I wrote it early this morning.

17 Responses to Get Some Sleep

1. SteveG on October 23, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Early to bed, early to rise…makes you a nerd.

I think there is probably a stronger correlation between reading comments and feeling grumpy than in losing sleep due to internet participation and feeling grumpy. This is, then, directly related to the barbs/quarrels initiated and propagated by the largely consequence-free world of internet anonymity.

2. David Clark on October 23, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Adam,

Don’t feel bad, I meant it as a joke. I like it when people disagree with me for the most part, it makes me think more clearly. I would have invited you to get a meal, but the fires in California caused several emergencies for me at work which I had to deal with on Sunday and Monday. If you are still in town, the offer is still valid, if not I’ll see you next time.

3. Curtis DeGraw on October 23, 2007 at 3:15 pm

Adam, good points.

Due to my wife’s work schedule that I described in my first post here, I spent a few weeks blogging late at night. I saw first-hand the effects you mention here, Adam – both in some of my own less-than patient responses and in the abundance of troll-like comments that appeared as soon as midnight passed.

I’m not sure if it’s because of cowardice (there is less chance of instant rebuttal), or if it’s general grumpiness, or if it’s a combination of the two. I suspect the third. No matter the specifics, the tone does tend to worsen late at night.

4. Adam Greenwood on October 23, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Look forward to seeing you next time we’re in Dallas, David C.

I’ve seen the same thing, Curtis D.

5. Jacob M on October 23, 2007 at 3:19 pm

So, the Spirit does go to sleep at midnight???

6. Jordan F. on October 23, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Let me know when you are in Dallas and we can host a big old dallas bloggernacle reception for you. I think television keeps me up late much more often than blogging. Darn that TIVO- I thought it would help me watch LESS television! But, alas, now I feel compelled to watch everything I tivo…

7. Adam Greenwood on October 23, 2007 at 4:39 pm

I’d love to catch up, Jordan F. Last weekend was a flying trip but next time we’re there for a few days let’s do it.

8. Julie M. Smith on October 23, 2007 at 4:53 pm

That’s why T & S is going to seminary standard time.

I think a Dallas Bloggersnacker would be fun. I’d drive up.

9. queuno on October 23, 2007 at 6:39 pm

A DFW bloggersnacker would be great. Just don’t overlap with a Cowboys or Mavericks game. :)

(onymity aside, until Google stops archiving names in comments, I’d rather remain anonymous, but I freely uncloak myself privately). On another blog which I frequent, I find the major participants get along better on the blog than they do in real life; an interesting phenomenon.

10. Patricia Karamesines on October 23, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Blogging or no blogging, I would be living a sleep-deprived life. But thinking makes it worse, whether it’s about something that’s happened on a blog, or something that’s going on with a students, or one of my kids or a writing project. All equally to blame for stubby nights of sleep.

As for the anonymous part, I don’t feel especially anonymous.

11. Ardis Parshall on October 23, 2007 at 8:00 pm

As for the anonymous part, I don’t feel especially anonymous.

Yeah.

12. Marjorie Conder on October 23, 2007 at 10:11 pm

I’m not anonymous either. I feel that if I can’t stand up for what I have said, even if I may be wrong occassionally, I just shouldn’t be saying it. Being “who I am” keeps me accountable.

13. Ray on October 23, 2007 at 11:00 pm

It is interesting to look at the most inflammatory comments and see what percent of them are accompanied by a pseudonym. (and with that inflammatory comment, I should be logging off, since it is now 11:00 here in the Buckeye State. Any bets on whether or not that will happen.)

14. Eric Boysen on October 24, 2007 at 9:44 am

I have never read a scripture that says “sleep your fill.” That I think was an assumption that held fine until artificial lighting extended our days well into the darkness. The time is ripe for a new revelation to “sleep a little longer that your spirit may be sweet.”

15. Kevinf on October 24, 2007 at 10:42 am

I’ll just add this, that my patriarchal blessing advises me to “get sufficient rest to avoid the problems of advancing age”. I used to think that was odd. As I am now in that slow decline of middle age (55), I look back at the last 20 years of my life, averaging probably about 6 hours sleep a night, and suddenly realize that I should have gotten more sleep. I still jog, play basketball, and try to be fit, but I never seem to get enough sleep. So now, I wear reading glasses, suffer partial hearing loss, too many other minor issues to describe here, and think, I should have gotten more rest. However, I don’t tend to blog late at night. That’s when I read books. You know, the things where you turn the pages by hand?

16. Heaather on October 24, 2007 at 11:30 am

Kudos to Julie Smith for her comments on the KUER radio program discussing Sister Beck\’s talk. She was an island of sanity in a sea of sloppy thinking. Besides being the most articulate guest on the show, her humor and insight gave me a little thrill at having my point of view so well represented! Thanks

17. Adam S. on October 24, 2007 at 11:51 am

Sleeping is giving in,
    no matter what the time is.
    Sleeping is giving in,
    so lift those heavy eyelids.

People say that you’ll die
    faster than without water.
    But we know it’s just a lie,
    scare your son, scare your daughter.