Sacrament at Home

September 16, 2007 | 7 comments

On the sweetness of Mormon life:

Our hometeachers performed the sacrament in our home for the 4th time in nearly as many weeks. One is a college student, the other is a Navajo computer engineer. They spread a tablecloth over our piano bench, broke a piece of bread on a small plate, poured a sip of water into a teacup, sang a hymn with us, knelt on our carpet, blessed the sacrament, and served it to my wife. They asked after our affairs and then they prayed over our home. Our daughters were big-eyed. Our eldest stared at the door a while after they left and asked “Were those missionaries?” They made our home feel holy.

When my puritanism was in its first bloom, I kept the Sabbath rigidly. I often felt then like I did today, like my home was a sanctuary in the religious sense of the term. We read President Kimball’s strong testimony of the Sabbath today in Elder’s Quorum and it brought those days back to mind. The Sabbath is still sweet but I miss those days.

7 Responses to Sacrament at Home

1. Mike on September 16, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for sharing that experience. Sometimes I think we (read: I) forget to enjoy the simplicity and peace of worship because of the busy, Sunday routine we are used to. Your experience is a reminder to me that God gave us the Sabbath for our own benefit.

2. CAW on September 17, 2007 at 7:50 am

I have a very sweet memory of a Sunday afternoon visiting my sister-in-law in the hospital (she has since passed away from brain cancer) when two young men from her ward came to prepare and offer her the sacrament. They came with their priest’s quorum instructor, who was just there to supervise, I think. I could tell the young men would be typical rough high school kids in another setting, but they entered that hospital room and treated my sister-in-law and the sacrament with such respect and caring that it touched my heart. They brought the spirit and made the room a holy place. I got very emotional at the time (and again now as I remember the occasion) and realize what a blessing the priesthood and the sacrament is not only for us who receive, but also for the transformation it can make in the lives of young men who are entrusted with performing the ordinance.

3. courtney on September 17, 2007 at 11:27 am

My bishop used to come every Sunday after his meetings to bless the sacrament with my dad at our home for my mom. It was very humbling for my family to be served in that way by the bishop. It eased the tension and damp spirit in our house every week. Thank goodness my mom is no longer bedridden, but I have to say, that is a fond memory I have of true service.

4. Janet on September 17, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Our home teachers have performed this service 4 or 5 times in the last year as chronic illness has paid especially nasty visits–it amazes me that even when DH and only had syrupy waffles to contribute as the bread, the spirit still permeated our home.

I also actually appreciate when the person offering the sacrament prayer has to start over, because it usually focuses my attention on words which otherwise have sadly become too often perfunctory to my Sabbath observance.

5. Ann on September 17, 2007 at 9:12 pm

One of my favorite memories of the weeks after The Kid was born is when my husband blessed the sacrament for us at home. No bread, so we used coffee cake from breakfast.

6. maria on September 17, 2007 at 11:26 pm

I hope your wife is okay, Adam. And that you are okay, too.

7. Zina W on September 19, 2007 at 10:55 pm

My last baby was born on a Saturday, and on Sunday we were still trying to get his glucose levels where they needed to be, and I was preoccupied with that and exhausted and didn\’t even really think about it being Sunday. My husband was home with the other three kids and was planning to come visit later in the day. Then, two men and a woman showed up and asked if I wanted the Sacrament, and I very gratefully accepted. This was at American Fork Hospital in Utah — they must do this every week. (Hmm, it just now occurs to me that they might have been imposters.) (Just kidding.)