I am not longer an attorney. I’m still a lawyer and always will be; law school does that to you. Still, today was my last day of work at the firm. I am leaving clients and the “real world” behind for the ivory tower. In the summer of 1998, I decided that I wanted to be a law professor when I grew up. I had always thought that I would become a philosophy professor, but I came to three conclusions that summer. First, I was not a particularly good philosopher. Second, given this fact it was unlikely that I could get a job as a philosopher. Third, I decided that at the end of the day I was a dilettante. I love philosophy, economics, politics, public policy, and history. So I looked for a discipline that rewarded dilettantism, and hit upon the law. Now, roughly eight years later, it looks as though it is going to actually happen. I have been looking forward to a small office full of books on jurisprudence for a long time. I am just happy that life, fate, and the Lord have seen fit to let me have it. Sometimes life is very difficult and contrary, but sometimes it gives us just what we desire.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Practical Apologetics: Historicity
- Jared vdH: Steve Smith and others who are make the historicity of the BoM the crux of the...
- Jonathan: “Midgley likewise rejects Latter-day Saints who try to find some middle...
- TLC: We are seriously considering not doing the official seminary program with our kids. I...
- Rigel Hawthorne: Not looking forward to this dilemma which will start for us in 18 months....
Notes From All Over
- Construction of Rome Italy Temple to Resume at Normal Pace January 29, 2015
- Mormon Leaders Call for Laws That Protect Religious Freedom January 27, 2015
- BYU-Idaho's Board of Trustees Announces New President January 27, 2015
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | Jan 23 January 23, 2015
- Catholic Archbishop Delivers Message on Religious Freedom at Brigham Young University January 23, 2015
- Reid L. Neilson Named Assistant Church Historian and Recorder January 23, 2015
I am no longer an attorney…
June 2, 2006 | 41 commentsBy Nate Oman