I am not longer an attorney. I’m still a lawyer and always will be; law school does that to you. Still, today was my last day of work at the firm. I am leaving clients and the “real world” behind for the ivory tower. In the summer of 1998, I decided that I wanted to be a law professor when I grew up. I had always thought that I would become a philosophy professor, but I came to three conclusions that summer. First, I was not a particularly good philosopher. Second, given this fact it was unlikely that I could get a job as a philosopher. Third, I decided that at the end of the day I was a dilettante. I love philosophy, economics, politics, public policy, and history. So I looked for a discipline that rewarded dilettantism, and hit upon the law. Now, roughly eight years later, it looks as though it is going to actually happen. I have been looking forward to a small office full of books on jurisprudence for a long time. I am just happy that life, fate, and the Lord have seen fit to let me have it. Sometimes life is very difficult and contrary, but sometimes it gives us just what we desire.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Privilege and the Family
- jill: We Mormons are extremely family oriented. This is well known to all. So it’s...
- Clark Goble: Just to add again for emphasis. If you can seriously reduce drug and alcohol...
- Clark Goble: First I think family really should be held in high esteem. I do worry about...
- Alison Moore Smith: “Hahaha, I love your spelled-out impression of Brother...
- Alison Moore Smith: Left Field, if you can find David Bowie and give him a nudge that...
Notes From All Over
- Church Leaders Focus on Family and Service at General Women's Session March 28, 2015
- Two Faiths Find Common Ground at Vancouver, Washington Easter Concert March 27, 2015
- In a Game of Total Victory We All Lose March 27, 2015
- Church Shares 'Because He Lives' Easter Initiative March 27, 2015
- In Post-Storm Vanuatu, Mormons Quick to Rebuild March 27, 2015
- Annual General Conference Reaches Global Audience March 26, 2015
I am no longer an attorney…
June 2, 2006 | 41 commentsBy Nate Oman