I am not longer an attorney. I’m still a lawyer and always will be; law school does that to you. Still, today was my last day of work at the firm. I am leaving clients and the “real world” behind for the ivory tower. In the summer of 1998, I decided that I wanted to be a law professor when I grew up. I had always thought that I would become a philosophy professor, but I came to three conclusions that summer. First, I was not a particularly good philosopher. Second, given this fact it was unlikely that I could get a job as a philosopher. Third, I decided that at the end of the day I was a dilettante. I love philosophy, economics, politics, public policy, and history. So I looked for a discipline that rewarded dilettantism, and hit upon the law. Now, roughly eight years later, it looks as though it is going to actually happen. I have been looking forward to a small office full of books on jurisprudence for a long time. I am just happy that life, fate, and the Lord have seen fit to let me have it. Sometimes life is very difficult and contrary, but sometimes it gives us just what we desire.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- A sad Sunday
- Brad L: No it wasn’t worth your time, Ojiisan. My advice is if you choose to respond...
- Ojiisan: Brad L: Probably not worth my time but I’ll give it one more shot . 1....
- Brad L: Uchtdorf is purporting to make a statement of fact rather than a statement of his...
- Michelle: (There is a comment in moderation that had several links to a free book on...
- Michelle: Can I also just share a thought about the question re: universal salvation? In...
Notes From All Over
- Church, Governments and Humanitarian Partners Aid Refugees in Europe November 24, 2015
- Mormons Around the World Country Newsroom Websites November 24, 2015 November 24, 2015
- Faith Leaders Participate in Dedication of New Church Meetinghouse in Washington, D.C. November 23, 2015
- Montreal Quebec Temple Opens Following Rededication November 22, 2015
- Worldwide Mormon Leaders Cheryl Esplin and Neill Marriott Visit Women and Children in Asia November 20, 2015
- First Presidency Expresses Love, Support for French People November 14, 2015
I am no longer an attorney…
June 2, 2006 | 41 commentsBy Nate Oman