I am not longer an attorney. I’m still a lawyer and always will be; law school does that to you. Still, today was my last day of work at the firm. I am leaving clients and the “real world” behind for the ivory tower. In the summer of 1998, I decided that I wanted to be a law professor when I grew up. I had always thought that I would become a philosophy professor, but I came to three conclusions that summer. First, I was not a particularly good philosopher. Second, given this fact it was unlikely that I could get a job as a philosopher. Third, I decided that at the end of the day I was a dilettante. I love philosophy, economics, politics, public policy, and history. So I looked for a discipline that rewarded dilettantism, and hit upon the law. Now, roughly eight years later, it looks as though it is going to actually happen. I have been looking forward to a small office full of books on jurisprudence for a long time. I am just happy that life, fate, and the Lord have seen fit to let me have it. Sometimes life is very difficult and contrary, but sometimes it gives us just what we desire.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- A self-guided walking tour of Higher Criticism
- living in zion: I love reading books and posts written in a foreign language. As in, I...
- Jonathan Green: Dave, the position that Ben sketches out is one I’m quite...
- Ben S.: I suspect a fully-informed devotional reading would look something like Canonical...
- James Olsen: I’ve been trying for years to get clearer about this, without a...
- fbisti: To clarify, or addend to my comment #2: Many aspects of the Church’s...
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Mormon Temples Currently Under Construction September 11, 2014
- Church Expands Online Resources to Help Individuals Overcome Pornography Addiction September 11, 2014
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | 10 September 2014 September 10, 2014
- 13th BYU President Formally Installed September 9, 2014
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | 5 September September 5, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 5 September 2014 September 5, 2014
I am no longer an attorney…
June 2, 2006 | 41 commentsBy Nate Oman