We’ve all heard the stories about intrepid missionaries who faced rejection door after door only to be let in at the final house that they contacted. It might be that the triumph at the last door represents an example for reward for perserverance, a kind of prize bestowed by God on those who endure to the end. However, it also might be the case — and in my experience it frequently was — that the reason the missionaries were let in on the last door is because once they had gotten into one house they quit tracting and went home. Sometimes the story would be much better if we learned that the missionaries who tracted till dark and went home after being rejected at the last door. Sometimes we endure because of the glory that is set before us (to paraphrase Paul), but sometimes we just endure, which is not without its own dignity.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Recommended NT Resources, part 3: History and Commentary
- Ardis E. Parshall: Oh, duh, sorry. I guess I was so eager to get to the book list that I...
- Ben S.: Thanks JMS. I’d heard good things about the new manual, but hadn’t...
- Ardis E. Parshall: I didn’t notice until I had already bought a couple of these...
- Jonathan Cavender: Josh: The Lord is a higher authority than the Prophet, therefore...
- Josh Smith: Johnathan, I’m interested in the idea of “obedience to a higher...
- Jonathan Cavender: Josh: You are not getting annoying, I assure you. However, I believe...
Notes From All Over
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | November 26 November 26, 2014
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 26 November 2014 November 26, 2014
- Mormons Join Christians Around the World to Celebrate the Bible November 25, 2014
- The Voice of Religious Conscience November 25, 2014
- Church to Send Email Messages to Members Worldwide November 25, 2014
- Violin Phenom Lindsey Stirling to Live Chat Online with Mormon Youth November 24, 2014
The Last Door
April 12, 2006 | 28 commentsBy Nate Oman