Peg O’ My Heart

April 4, 2006 | 33 comments

We are pleased to announce the birth of our daughter Margaret Rose.

9 lbs., 5 oz., 20 inches long, red as all get out, natural birth, instant nurser (unlike our first two, who didn’t quite grasp the mechanics right off). Mother and baby are doing well. [I'll post a picture in bit when Mother wakes up to tell me where the Costco CD's are.]

She’s named Margaret just because. She’s named Rose because Portland’s symbol is the rose, and because we suspect our ward in Portland, (the Aloha Second), might have saved her life. Here’s the story.

Not too long after Betsey died, we started casually trying for another child. Around the same time, but in a different connection, I received a fairly startling promise from the Spirit.

I met the conditions that were set on the promise but nothing happened. This bothered me. I was praying to know why one night and the Spirit told me that if we some day had twins, this would be a sign to me that the promise would be kept. We were currently experiencing the bleeding that signaled that conception had not occurred in that monthly cycle, but I got excited for the future. Would it be twins this time?

The next day, a Saturday, the bleeding got much severer and prolonged than normal. We didn’t know why, so on a whim my wife decided to get a pregnancy test. We were surprised when it showed positive.

Over the phone, our doctor ordered us to the emergency room. After some tests, the personnel there told us that we still had a child, though it would probably be miscarried. They told us that probably we had a second child, a twin, that had already been miscarried. They weren’t sure, though, so we were left uncertain whether we had recieved our promised twins (though the timing would seem to indicate we had). We did know that we needed to save our remaining child.

The medical personnell didn’t hold out much hope. This early in the child’s life, they said, probably nothing we could do would save it. Avoiding vacuuming, lifting, pushing, etc., might make a marginal difference, but that was all. But we determined to try.

Our Aloha Second ward then stepped in. They did the cooking and the cleaning, they watched Emma, and since we were moving to Albuquerque, they packed and loaded and kept my wife cheerful company so she wouldn’t be stressed. They prayed and kept faith. When the bleeding stopped, we still had a heartbeat.

33 Responses to Peg O’ My Heart

1. john scherer on April 4, 2006 at 11:42 am

DELIGHTFUL!!!!

Congratulations on your new arrival. I love the name and am so glad for your blessing. Thank You for telling us about your previous ward as well. Some days I can’t contain my gratitude for being able to live among the saints of god.

2. Tanya Spackman on April 4, 2006 at 11:44 am

Congrats!!! And thank you for sharing that story.

3. DKL on April 4, 2006 at 11:45 am

Congratulations, Adam.

4. Mark IV on April 4, 2006 at 11:52 am

Adam, I’m happy for you. Best wishes to you and your family.

5. Edje on April 4, 2006 at 11:52 am

Congratulations!

6. Guy Murray on April 4, 2006 at 11:54 am

Wonderful story Adam Greenwood; and, congrats to you and your family.

7. Josh Bancroft on April 4, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for sharing such a personal story, Adam. Though Rachel did more than I, it was a special joy and a blessing every time we could do something to help you guys out. We were more than happy to, because we felt like we came out the richer for it.

8. P. G. Karamesines on April 4, 2006 at 12:37 pm

Thank you for telling this story, Adam. Looking forward to pictures (I always find your stills moving). Congratulations and best wishes to you and to your family.

9. manaen on April 4, 2006 at 12:38 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your new daughter! I’ve found the LDS are helpful wherever I go.
    Would you someday share what was that promise from the Spirit?

10. John C. on April 4, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Congratulations!

11. Costanza on April 4, 2006 at 1:03 pm

Adam,
    It is heartening to see good things happening to good people. Congratulations.

12. Rusty Clifton on April 4, 2006 at 1:49 pm

Congrats!

13. D. Fletcher on April 4, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Whoa! Blogging must be having a good effect on everybody. Congratulations!

P.S. I’m so glad you named your daughter after my sister Peggy Fletcher Stack.

;)

14. mullingandmusing (m&m) on April 4, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Wow. What a story. What a blessing. Heartfelt congratulations. Wow.

15. Julie M. Smith on April 4, 2006 at 1:57 pm

“Blogging must be having a good effect on everybody. ”

After a drought since the Evans’ twins last summer (and, before that, my baby in Oct 04), T & S welcomed *four* babies in the last few weeks.

Whether the slump in traffic here last June was cause or effect is the subject of debate.

16. Times and Seasons on April 4, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Wow, the good news keeps on rolling in. Congratulations to you and your wife!

17. tracy m on April 4, 2006 at 3:09 pm

Congrats! Must be something in the water- it’s baby season!

18. Kaimi Wenger on April 4, 2006 at 3:10 pm

Congratulations, Adam. I’m happy for you.

19. Matt Evans on April 4, 2006 at 4:09 pm

Congratulations, Adam. God bless the Aloha Second Ward.

20. Mary Ward on April 4, 2006 at 4:46 pm

How blessed you and your family are, Adam. I know something of the goodness of members of the church in many wards. I’m reminded of the saying or poem that has a line something like . . . “God has no hands by my hands. . .” Ward members are often the hands of Heavenly Father in our lives.

21. danithew on April 4, 2006 at 4:50 pm

Congrats on the birth of your daughter!

22. Ana on April 4, 2006 at 5:14 pm

Congratulations to all of you, a big welcome to baby Margaret Rose, and thanks, Adam, for sharing this story.

23. Frank McIntyre on April 4, 2006 at 5:38 pm

Congratulations!

24. Chance on April 4, 2006 at 6:43 pm

You know Adam, the same thing happened with our first ‘promised’ child, Noah. My wife was not supposed to have children (according to the experts), but priesthood blessings promised her that she would. She bled for what seemed like weeks (and still does in memory), but in the end Noah (this 35 pound weight that currently sits on my back) came nearly 8 weeks early due to preclempsia. Noah was tiny (not much bigger than my hand) but after just a few weeks in the NICU he was allowed to join us at home and 2 years later is a behemoth. Noah has since been joined by Emma (just 4 weeks early this time!), and she is a terror.

Adam, as always, I appreciate your postings, as they truly make me appreciate mine all the more.

Chance

25. Ben H on April 4, 2006 at 9:22 pm

Picture! Picture!

26. Brian G on April 4, 2006 at 10:40 pm

Congratulations, Adam!

27. Lurker on April 4, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Congratulations on your new baby!

28. chronicler on April 5, 2006 at 8:35 am

Felicitations Adam! 9 lbs 5 oz! Whoa! What a wonderful blessing for your family.

29. Kevin Barney on April 5, 2006 at 10:55 am

Wonderful, Adam. I hope you’ll send pictures and thanks back to your old ward for the benefit of those who are not blog readers. How nice it will be for them to see a picture of a little girl that in a very real way represents the fruit of their labors on your wife’s behalf. It will really bring the importance of their Christian service home to them in a dramatic way, and will make their respective days, I am sure. I think they are entitled to this small bit of recompense.

30. D-Train on April 5, 2006 at 10:59 am

Please accept my congratulations, Adam. I’m happy that everything worked out well.

31. Adam Greenwood on April 5, 2006 at 11:55 am

Excellent advice, Brother K. Barney. Will do.

32. Heather O. on April 7, 2006 at 9:16 pm

Oh, Adam, that’s so great. I’m so excited for you and your family. Congratulations!

33. Adam Greenwood on May 24, 2006 at 7:24 pm

A little more back story on Rosie’s name. I just found a note I jotted a few months ago.

The rose is Portland’s flower. We couldn’t get out of our minds a day when we took Betsey and Emma to the rose gardens there, and a picture we took of it. Betsey couldn’t smell, because of her trache, but she’d always lean over very seriously and sniff flowers.