I try (or at least I think that I try) to avoid posting on the bloggernacle as bloggernancle. Generally speaking, we are not as interesting as we think we are. What I do find interesting is the extent to which Mormon blogs almost immediately began identifying themselves as a community. It is as though Mormons are congenitally incapable of not conceptualizing any collective activity in terms of community. In addition to my dabbling in Mormon blogging, I have also — from time to time — participated in the world of law blogs (blawgs). What is interesting to me is that blawgers don’t see themselves as being a member of a community per se. Their model is not the singles ward or the potluck or the family reunion, but rather the mainstream media or the law reviews. For them blogging is a form of publishing, albeit an extremely fast paced, informal, and interactive form. You can see this in the ubiquity of commenting on Mormon blogs. Many extremely high-traffic blawgs have no comments at all, and those with comments consistently have a lower comments to hits ratio than Mormon blogs. In other words, Mormons seem to come to blogs as much to chat as to read. I suspect that at least some of the farcical little melodramas to which the bloggernacle is prone hinge on a basic set of disagreements about what this medium is about. For some people (and for the same person at different times), hitting the post key is about starting a conversation, which will require one set of expectations about participation. For another person (or at another time), hitting the post key is much more like publishing an op-ed piece, which creates a different set of expectations about participation. However, from simply reading a post it is difficult to figure out which is which.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Recommended NT Resources, part 3: History and Commentary
- Daniel Watkins: Ah, I see it was on an earlier list!
- Daniel Watkins: Another book that I think should be on the list is Jesus Through Middle...
Notes From All Over
- Mormonism Online: In Your Own Words | 18 December 2014 December 18, 2014
- Behind the Scenes at the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert December 18, 2014
- Mormons Around the World: Country Newsroom Websites | December 17 December 17, 2014
- Church Marks Centennial of World War I Christmas Truce December 16, 2014
- Two Temples Scheduled for Renovation in Germany and Idaho December 16, 2014
- Laura Bush and Daughter Jenna to Keynote RootsTech 2015 December 12, 2014
A Modest Bit of Navel Gazing…
March 6, 2006 | 23 commentsBy Nate Oman