I try (or at least I think that I try) to avoid posting on the bloggernacle as bloggernancle. Generally speaking, we are not as interesting as we think we are. What I do find interesting is the extent to which Mormon blogs almost immediately began identifying themselves as a community. It is as though Mormons are congenitally incapable of not conceptualizing any collective activity in terms of community. In addition to my dabbling in Mormon blogging, I have also — from time to time — participated in the world of law blogs (blawgs). What is interesting to me is that blawgers don’t see themselves as being a member of a community per se. Their model is not the singles ward or the potluck or the family reunion, but rather the mainstream media or the law reviews. For them blogging is a form of publishing, albeit an extremely fast paced, informal, and interactive form. You can see this in the ubiquity of commenting on Mormon blogs. Many extremely high-traffic blawgs have no comments at all, and those with comments consistently have a lower comments to hits ratio than Mormon blogs. In other words, Mormons seem to come to blogs as much to chat as to read. I suspect that at least some of the farcical little melodramas to which the bloggernacle is prone hinge on a basic set of disagreements about what this medium is about. For some people (and for the same person at different times), hitting the post key is about starting a conversation, which will require one set of expectations about participation. For another person (or at another time), hitting the post key is much more like publishing an op-ed piece, which creates a different set of expectations about participation. However, from simply reading a post it is difficult to figure out which is which.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- Rankings, Money, and BYU
- Old Man: Rameumptom, Is the tithing yours to send? As a BYU grad who struggled financially...
- Martin: Rameumptom, I suspect the church’s objective isn’t so much to...
- rameumptom: I have a hard time sending my tithing to subsidize wealthy Mormons attending...
- James Goldberg: Very cool.
Notes From All Over
Notes from All Over
- Public Invited to Tour Newly Remodeled Ogden Utah Temple July 29, 2014
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | 23 July 2014 July 23, 2014
- FamilySearch Volunteers Break International Indexing Record July 23, 2014
- Mormon Youth in Utah Host Special Needs Pioneer Trek July 22, 2014
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Santino Fontana Headline Pioneer Day Concerts July 20, 2014
- Groundbreaking Date Announced for Meridian Idaho Mormon Temple July 18, 2014
A Modest Bit of Navel Gazing…
March 6, 2006 | 23 commentsBy Nate Oman