I try (or at least I think that I try) to avoid posting on the bloggernacle as bloggernancle. Generally speaking, we are not as interesting as we think we are. What I do find interesting is the extent to which Mormon blogs almost immediately began identifying themselves as a community. It is as though Mormons are congenitally incapable of not conceptualizing any collective activity in terms of community. In addition to my dabbling in Mormon blogging, I have also — from time to time — participated in the world of law blogs (blawgs). What is interesting to me is that blawgers don’t see themselves as being a member of a community per se. Their model is not the singles ward or the potluck or the family reunion, but rather the mainstream media or the law reviews. For them blogging is a form of publishing, albeit an extremely fast paced, informal, and interactive form. You can see this in the ubiquity of commenting on Mormon blogs. Many extremely high-traffic blawgs have no comments at all, and those with comments consistently have a lower comments to hits ratio than Mormon blogs. In other words, Mormons seem to come to blogs as much to chat as to read. I suspect that at least some of the farcical little melodramas to which the bloggernacle is prone hinge on a basic set of disagreements about what this medium is about. For some people (and for the same person at different times), hitting the post key is about starting a conversation, which will require one set of expectations about participation. For another person (or at another time), hitting the post key is much more like publishing an op-ed piece, which creates a different set of expectations about participation. However, from simply reading a post it is difficult to figure out which is which.
Times and Seasons is a place to gather and discuss ideas of interest to faithful Latter-day Saints.
- YW Lesson: How Do I Prepare Now to Become a Righteous Wife and Mother?Church Sticks with Boys
- Jax: This was my Facebook post about this topic… The first paragraph is actual...
- d: To Segullah #1, George S #4, Suleyman #16, and Kif #21, The YW in my ward have a fund...
- Wilfried: In response to sfw (63) and Sasha (64), I appreciate their support of church...
- Sasha Apanasenko: I find it saddening on a site that purports to be for faithful...
Notes From All Over
- President Uchtdorf Dedicates New Addition to Church’s Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii August 29, 2015
- Church Creates Original Video Series on Addiction Recovery August 28, 2015
- Angel Moroni Lifted to the Top of the Fort Collins Colorado Temple August 27, 2015
- Church to Go Forward with Scouting Program August 26, 2015
- Mormonism in the News: Getting It Right | August 25, 2015 August 25, 2015
- First Latter-day Saint Temple in Indiana Dedicated August 23, 2015
A Modest Bit of Navel Gazing…
March 6, 2006 | 23 commentsBy Nate Oman