A Really Bad Idea

January 18, 2006 | 11 comments

It may be that pro-correlation forces have hacked into Sunstone’s website or it may just be a really, really bad marketing idea.

Under the heading ‘Magazine Delivery News’ on the homepage of their website is this:

A second copy of the November 2005 Sunstone is starting to arrive in mailboxes. As stated in an earlier message, this copy is a replacement for the one mailed December 1st but which had printing errors (lightly printed text, poor contrasts, font problems, and gray boxes surrounding certain design elements) that Sunstone deemed to be unacceptable. As you receive this second copy, please keep it and use the earlier one as a way to introduce someone new to Sunstone!

11 Responses to A Really Bad Idea

1. Geoff J on January 19, 2006 at 1:01 am

Hmmm… I’m confused… Why is it such a bad idea? Sounds kinda like a good idea to me.

2. Matt Evans on January 19, 2006 at 1:10 am

Geoff, this will kill the joke, but here goes: If the issue was so humiliating (lightly printed text, poor contrasts, font problems, extraneous gray boxes) that Sunstone was forced to go to the incredible trouble of reprinting and mailing the whole thing over again, the humiliating issue is presumably *not* a good way to introduce someone to Sunstone. Unless, of course, you want your friends to associate Sunstone with light text, poor contrast and problems.

3. Geoff J on January 19, 2006 at 1:29 am

Ahhhh… Can you tell I’m not a subscriber? Sorry for being dense.

4. Country Boy on January 19, 2006 at 1:47 am

Yes it is a good idea. What better way to practice mental gymnastics than with two copies of sunstone.

5. Kurt on January 19, 2006 at 7:41 am

Or is it just a really bad idea to let other Mormons know you read, let alone subscribe to, Sunstone.

6. Seth Rogers on January 19, 2006 at 10:37 am

Kinda sounds like my mission when a new Japanese translation of the BoM came out, but Church Headquarters in Tokyo insisted that all the missionaries hand out all the old, outdated, and completely incomprehesible editions that were lying around by the boxfulls in missionary apartments, before the missionaries could get the new ones.

I’m still a little bitter about that one. Wish I’d secretly chucked the old ones in the dumpster ….

7. Bryce I on January 19, 2006 at 1:42 pm

Seth, I love that old translation. I’ve got three or four copies hanging around still, and I’m not giving them away.

8. Bro. Jones on January 19, 2006 at 3:43 pm

I got a copy of the first Sunstone issue, didn’t seem badly printed to me. I was actually logging onto their website to find out why they’d sent me a second copy when I saw that notice. [shrug]

9. Aaron Brown on January 19, 2006 at 7:32 pm

I am a Sunstone subscriber, and when I got the latest issue, I experienced the weirdest sense of deja vu I’d ever had. Hadn’t I already read articles before that sounded remarkably like the titles I was reading on the cover? At first, I figured that it was just my perfect foreknowledge showing itself again, given that I exist outside of time. Now I know the truth.

Ignorance was bliss.

Aaron B

10. Geoff J on January 19, 2006 at 8:16 pm

Lol!

Nice Aaron.

11. Seth Rogers on January 20, 2006 at 6:35 pm

Ha Aaron.

Keep that up and I might have to boot you into next Tuesday! =)