Where does the Bloggernacle live?

November 13, 2005 | 13 comments

Bryce Inouye has created a bloggernacle Frappr page that shows you where our bloggernacle community lives. If you’re willing to share your zip code, add yourself! (Note that Frappr requires you to leave a short comment in the “shoutout” box. )

13 Responses to Where does the Bloggernacle live?

1. J. Stapley on November 14, 2005 at 1:48 am

The Lou Midgley picture is hilarious. Thank you, whoever added that.

2. Kim on November 14, 2005 at 6:47 am

Well, I’m trying to add myself, but the thing doesn’t recognize any cities in Finland… oh well :)

3. marta on November 14, 2005 at 9:09 am

Kim,

As Bryce explained it to me, you enter your city in this manner: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province (Finland). Good luck. It is fun to see where everyone is.

4. Kim on November 14, 2005 at 10:43 am

Hmm… that doesn’t seem to work either. I tried putting in ‘Tampere, Southern Finland Province (Finland)’, but it complains “Invalid city”.

5. Bryce I on November 14, 2005 at 11:26 am

Currently, Frappr only supports addresses in the US, UK, and Japan that I know of.

6. Kim on November 14, 2005 at 11:47 am

Ok, I suspected something like that. Anyway, now y’all know that there are people (at least one!) even in far-away Finland frequenting the Bloggernacle.

7. Kim Siever on November 14, 2005 at 1:03 pm

It also works for Canadian cities.

8. Wilfried on November 14, 2005 at 2:24 pm

How’s the Church doing in Finland, Kim? I heard some of your units are on the experimental two-hour block on Sundays. True?

9. Bryce I on November 14, 2005 at 3:00 pm

My apologies for not mentioning Canada

10. marta on November 14, 2005 at 6:55 pm

Just checked frapper on another blog. She has folks in Australia, India, and Finland. Curiouser and curiouser.

11. Kim on November 16, 2005 at 12:38 pm

Amazing, it worked now. Thanks to whomever did something to make it work! :)

Wilfried, you are correct in that many (if not most) units in the mission districts of Finland are on the two-hour block, and have in fact been already for quite some time. Both Tampere and Helsinki stakes are on the normal three-hour block.

Otherwise, church membership numbers have practically been stagnant in Finland ever since the 1980s, and I think it would be an interesting research task to find the reasons for that. However, a new mission president arrived this summer and he has completely revised the work of the missionaries by asking them not to tract at all but instead to come up with other ways of finding and befriending people. A very courageous approach, let’s hope that it leads to good results.

The Helsinki temple is going to be ready next fall, and its effects on the church in Finland in general remain to be seen. In any case, it is probably going to be a great boost to the current membership.

12. Guy Murray on November 16, 2005 at 1:15 pm

Kim,

So where do you go to sign up for the two hour block plan again? Sounds like a great thing to me :->

13. Kim on November 16, 2005 at 1:29 pm

Guy,

Just move to the northern or eastern part of Finland and you’ll be fine!